or Connect

Posts by Douglas

grizzly arms would have bigger wrists
I like the desk.
Foo - there are some pretty nice duvet covers on Overstock.com. I have a couple of them myself.
Holy crap, that rain showed me last night. Our basement was a flood zone. Water was coming in in places I'd never seen it before. It must have literally burst a hole in the foundation - we have some china on a shelf that is filled with dirty water - the china is at least 10 inches from the wall, on a shelf 1 foot high, and the shelf above is bone dry. Bizarre. Wife is insistent on finishing the basement; I don't think it's possible at this point. On the bright side,...
Other than in the largest, most clearly public areas in my house (entry, living room - which are oak), most of my house has heart pine floors. No worries Lefty, I obviously have to get the roof to a certain point before I can even think about finishing anything. I'm not going to replace the roof, but I am going to make sure it's all squared away.
So they found all kinds of roof rot in my house. I'm not surprised - it sat idle for years before we bought it. We've known that ideally it could use a new roof, but slat roofs are no joke, so we've been living with it. No major leaks or anything, but things had been starting to sag in places and eventually it will come time to bite the bullet... ...anyways they've had to remove entire sections of tile and replace big sections of the roof deck. Ditto soffit and...
Glad to help. I've had a lot of fun with this little "hobby" over the years; auction bargain hunting is great fun, to boot, even when you lose. I may actually sort of be in the market myself again right now; it's possible I could go check out the very rug I linked.Yeah, I think this will be worth something to a buyer even if it doesn't totally appraise out. But more than anything, it will be adding value to me, and to my feet, every time they don't step on a Lego in...
Work started on our attic today to convert it from a spooky old attic into a playroom for our daughter. It's about 6'-2" to the joists in the center, but only about 3-4 feet of that with the roof sloping down on either side. Also some structural shoring up that needs to be done as the roof is sagging in places. Apparently they found some cracked slate tiles on the roof today and some other signs of rot and deterioration - work that's going to have to get done - but I...
Re: Rugs - Quality Persians are easily had at auction for next to nothing. It is hard to know what you're getting into if you're a novice, as some rugs will go for thousands and others for nothing where to an uneducated eye they look the same - but hey, use that to your advantage. Room-size rugs in attractive enough Heriz patterns from the 1950s-1980s can be had for well under $1000. Condition won't always be perfect, but these are rugs you can live with and are pretty...
I will never be cultured enough to understand this thread.