or Connect

Posts by Douglas

Pretty stoked to have found a nice set of silver in "our" pattern at a pretty good price. We collect Kirk "Repousse" pattern in some part due to the Baltimore provenance and connection. Really excited about this service for 12 (5pcs/setting) which is hallmarked as dating from 1925-1932 or thereabouts. It's in fantastic condition, the relief and detail is much deeper and crisper than the stuff we already have. Probably partly due to care and use and aging but I also believe...
Anyone else had problems with Seikos? I've had a Seiko 5 military forever and it's an awesome watch, but the cocktail time I bought more recently keeps pretty terrible time. It gains 2-3 minutes a day. Probably something I can get tuned up somewhere? I hope?
Have we completely lost the irony that the banh mi itself is a form of cultural appropriation? Far from being " another country's traditional food " as alleged by one Oberlin student in the article, existence of the banh mi in the first place owes itself to colonial oppression. If you wanted to be particularly devilish about it , you could even make the argument that a bánh mì is an offensive appropriation of the cherished French culinary culture.
If anyone cares, I'll answer my own question. I went with 130F for something like 10 hours (10am til 8pm, give or take) and the texture was great. The meat was definitely nice and tender but still had enough chew to not be overly mushy. I did salt in advance and I don't feel that there was any negative effect that I could detect. If there is a technical issue I am still puzzling over it is how to achieve a decent crust, particularly when flavorings are involved. I...
More sous vide questions. I'm going to sous vide a whole NY Strip roast. I planned to salt well in advance, as I always do, but some sources on the net are insisting this is a bad idea with sous vide, and that it will give the meat a "cured" texture. I have salted in advance before, and I don't feel that there's been a problem, and I think that this sounds like a bit of interwebs BS, but I thought it was worth asking here. Also, any advice on time for a NY Strip roast?...
Edina's mom apparently has a huge pot.
don't mistype that as taginas.com i don't know what will pop up but it can't be good.
Thanks, appreciate the insight. I will try it someday Though I wonder if my foodsaver can vacuum seal them well enough for that extended a cook. I don't have a chamber vac.
Yeah, the exact times and temps were worrying to me. I'm not a meat expert, and I know some cuts take better to sous vide than others, and can have more or less sensitivity to time, and that the times and temps are subject to things about the meats that I may not appreciate. Example: I think sous-videing brisket or short ribs at 140 is never going to get you anywhere, because the connective tissue in those cuts doesn't break down at those temps, and you just end up with...