or Connect

Posts by JulianL

An alternative might be to stick with E width & specify a full sock. I had the "do I go down a width?" dilemma after I discovered that I had too much room above my foot in my 6.5Ds and had extensive discussions about the issue with EG's staff in the Jermyn Street shop. I was told that putting a full sock in would take out some internal space (obviously) but not as much as dropping down a width. A decent shop should be able to loose-cut a full sock for you to try on, EG...
   Very helpful observations and advice. II wish I'd made my post a couple of days ago because I hate being inefficient but am left with the feeling that when I went into the shop I really should have also tried going up a half length at the same time as dropping down the width, i.e. I should have tried a 7C as a possible other alternative to my current full-sock 6.5D fit. Ironically that's also another tip in the Permanent Style article that I'd already read. The reason I...
Thanks for the reply. I did ask EG the question and they were pretty non-committal on the difference between 82 and 888 width. I suspect that it's as you say, it can depend so much on individual foot shape.The reason I think (in fact I'm pretty confident in saying that I know) that my 888 D width has too much room is that the space above my forefoot allowed the crease on my Shannon's to develop to the point where it drew blood, a lot of blood, from where it cut into my...
Could someone compare and contrast the fit of 888 vs 82 for me please, particularly around the forefoot and toe area. I have an MTO order on hold at the moment because I'm worried that the 6.5D that I used for my last order might have too much space and am considering amending the size to 6.5C. I'm a bit nervous about doing this and unfortunately EG don't have any stock 888 shoes in 6.5C to try on but I did go into the store to try what I think was the closest I could...
I'd appreciate some sizing advice please. I have a couple of EGs on 888 in 6.5D. The fit isn't terrible but there are a couple of issues.   Firstly, on both my Holborn (2 eyelet derby) and Shannon (oxford boot) there is heel slip on the left heel even after extensive breaking in. Obviously on the boot it isn't such a big deal but it's a bit annoying on the derby. Even on the Holborn it's not catastrophic by any means, it's modest enough that I don't notice it about half...
 I haven't tried it myself but I had a long conversation about it with Robert (one of EG's longest serving sales staff I think) in the Jermyn Street store last week. He had worn it and his impression was that it was a bit roomier all around than the 888 which is my preferred last at the moment. I did have a careful look at one in the store and the biggest visual difference that I saw is that the toe is very noticeably more chiselled than the 888. I did read somewhere that...
 Wow! The fiddleback waist is the main reason I've been going Top Drawer. If would be big news if that feature was coming in for regular MTO but if it's there on RTW as well then that seems like huge news to me. I also note that the fiddleback in the picture is more of a pointy v shape similar to a G&G fiddleback rather than the more u-shaped fiddleback that has been on all the EG Top Drawer that I've seen. Is this another piece of news in the picture, EG going to a...
 It's also my understanding that the 888 (and the 82) were designed by Tony G and exactly the same 2 + 2 arithmetic occurred to me when I saw the 890 announcement. - Julian
 Wow. That's a big hike in Top Drawer prices. I placed an order for a Shannon in March this year, after the 2013 round of price increases, and that was £1,550 inc VAT including metal toe taps. I was also going to place an order for a regular shoe at the same time but I deferred that order while I tried to resolve on my heel slip issue on my previous TD order. Had I placed the shoe order that would have been £1,350 inc VAT (up from £1,250 the previous year) so the price...
 Thanks Smoothie. Although as you say only speculation it's still interesting. A post that I saw regarding the 890 last on a Swedish blog (http://www.shoegazing.se/2014/07/04/nyhet-edward-green-lanserar-nya-lasten-890/) mentions that the 890 is derived from the RL 89 last (assuming Google translate didn't mangle the meaning when I translated it from Swedish). If the 890 does turn out to be wider than the 888 in the forefoot that might still help me. I was considering...