or Connect

Posts by FlyingMonkey

Okay, of the three possibilities I have to choose from this week, I am going for this combination from Monday, largely because 1. it's not a suit; and 2. I think it gets away with breaking some rules in a good way.    [[SPOILER]]   Details: tan Ring Jacket; blue CT shirt; anonymous navy silk knit; vintage brown ancient madder PS; dark brown PRL chinos w. Uniqlo woven belt; unseen Stemar chestnut V-tips. 
And BTW, what I said applies to my pants today too - which are also less than ideal...   Anyway, a casual, Ivy-style combination today, again in the 'brown and blue' area: vintage, probably early 60s, jacket acquired via this forum from @330CK - this is the second bargain vintage jacket I've got hold of this year that fits almost perfectly without any alteration; BB ESF Oxford-stripe shirt; vintage 60s blue wool knit tie; cotton hank; cheap woven belt; Epaulet rivet...
Agreed. I think @Vaux_le_Vicomte's suit is almost perfect. The cut overall reminds me somewhat of @tchoy's - which has had similar criticisms, which I also thought were unwarranted. However, it would be much more interesting to see what VlV has to say about it, if ever he still checks in here... 
@Adolesco - welcome! I like the colours and materials here and it's all coherent so good job. (And of course, the scenery does you no harm at all!).   However, if you will allow me, the one thing that stands out for me as slightly less than ideal is the combination of flat-front trousers and braces (suspenders). I think the hands in the pocket shot tends to emphasize the downside of flat-fronts (it looks like you can hardly even fit your hands in without making it...
I very much doubt that. I suspect there was a lot of calculation that went in to how he wanted to appear for a photo op like that. It is not in the least bit insouciant.
 I don't recall any emphasis on dimpling when I was taught to tie a tie in the early 80s (in a British private school). But there again, I try to remember as little as possible about the whole experience...
Well, one view would be completely the opposite - at least pre-iGent. A dimple, off-centre mind you, implied a little more loucheness / sprezz, whereas the more smooth and symmetrical a tie is, whether that be in the knot, the position of dimple or ultimately no dimple, the less it draws attention to itself and therefore constitutes a more conservative mode. But, as I said, that's in the pre-iGent world. Now dimples have become as aspect of a 'new normal' for our...
Hey, @upr_crust - snap! (well, almost, mine's only a two-piece...) More blue and brown today. I wore this awesome vintage NOS guards coat into work, even though it is too warm for the current weather, because it's going to my alterations tailor to get the sleeves shortened (see spoilered pictures). Other deets: PRL (Made in Italy so probably Caruso?) suit, Conrad Wu raw silk tie, BB Golden Fleece short, Vintage mid-century Norwegian links and tie bar (a little too high in...
 This is exactly it - one of those tiny satisfying details that probably only the wearer will notice. It's exactly how I have my suit trousers cut now, and I will have my odd trousers done the same way (when I get the chance to have some made).
 +100 or more. Absolutely. And while we're at it, let's bury the myth that shorter guys should have narrow cut pants... where's that picture of Emperor Akihito quietly demonstrating classic elegance to François Hollande when you need it... ah, here: