Posts by FlyingMonkey

It's true that the best modern designs are failing at one of the fundamental tenets of modern design. Design has always worked within the constraints of the market. The early C20th still produced many great designs, regardless of whether they were produced as one-offs or for replication. These even extended into furniture design - take Danish furniture designers like Ole Wanscher (mentioned above). Sure, many of them were cratfspeople or worked with cabinet-makers to...
That guy is right about historic windows and how to treat them / supplement them. But he does seem to pick his figures for U-values to suit his argument rather than looking at what proper, well-made modern windows can do, and he doesn't even consider gas-filled triple-glazing (standard in Scandanavia). Makes a hell of a difference in colder climates. The other thing is that the frame assembly is just as important as the panes, and some old windows have quality frames and...
Now our new place has been inspected and passed, surprisingly without any nitpicking by the building inspector, this year we will be getting out the crowbars and hammers and demolishing the old place. And doing lots of landscaping.
Somewhat late to the discussion here, but I'd just like to add that 'ageing' and 'patina' is only half of the Japanese concept of wabi-sabi, specifically the sabi half. Sabi is an aesthetic that accepts decay, corrosion, and utimately death. Wabi, on the other hand, refers to an aesthetic of simplicity and moderation, even austerity. It derives from the acceptance of the emptiness at the heart of being. They are both concepts based in Buddhist thinking.   They've been...
We certainly do not use extra flushes - as well as following the yellow / brown rule. The system seems to be very effective and we haven't had any problems with pool or trap size. Cost was around $260 CAN.   Our shower is also the lowest flow shower available (from Bricor - the B110 model rated at 1.125 gallons per minute) - and that works well too. We don't have a great deal of choice but to be frugal with water as we rely entirely on rainwater collection: there is no...
What we wanted in a toilet:   1. as low water use as possible; but 2. actually works; 3. looks okay; and 4. is easy to clean.   What we got: Niagara Stealth 0.8gpf https://niagaracorp.com/products/onepiece-stealth-0-8-gpf-single-flush-elongated-toilet/   Is it all the things we wanted? After 4 months now, I think we can say it is.
 Just goes to show that 'natural' doesn't mean 'good'...
 Generally people in the UK pronounce the tyres as Mitch-eh-linn (anglicized) and the guidebook as Meesh-eh-lan (yer actual French). But this has as much to do with the social class / levels of education of who is consuming these two different products... 
 The destruction of the Okura is a disgrace. But the destruction of iconic buildings is by no means unusual in Tokyo, and ironically, the constant churn of destruction and building is one of hte things that makes the city so interesting. Up to point though...  
I'm not sure this is helpful but from both an aesthetic and practical point of view, I dislike those pulls. If eliminating handles is the goal then some kind of inset would be better and keep the feeling of a flat surface, but otherwise I'd really prefer actual handles, simple ones of course, but those pulls seem to be neither.