or Connect

Posts by FlyingMonkey

I'm totally with Nick on this, in fact I don't even think there's even a serious question here in the specifics, although lots of more interesting general discussion has emerged around it - as well as a slightly deranged troll or two.* But I do have to take issue with this series of statements. A brand is not the same as a company or an manufacturer. A company or manufacturer may indeed have heritage and genuine origins. A 'brand' is nothing but image, it's a series of...
 I really wanted to like this - very nice boots in particular - but the matching suit and decor is too disturbing...
  This is the most pointless argument of all. How many clothing brands manufacture in the city with which they are associated or with which they associate themselves? I can guarantee you that it is a handful. I already pointed out, above, that even 'Made in Italy' is a notional, legal, term these days which does not stop the product having been predominantly manufactured elsewhere. So much more so for 'Made in Napoli'. What about every other clothing company that will...
I have 457 shirts made by iTailor. They are so good I even use them as pants. And sometimes hats. In fact I liked iTailor so much that I had them build my new house. Admittedly the door doesn't work, the walls aren't straight, the roof leaks and they don't appear to have put in any floors, but it's the best value house I've ever seen and all my friends want one, sometimes two. iTailor are so great I am now commissioning them to make me a new wife!   Seriously, why is...
 Really? Hardly happens here. Mind you, there was one grad student in my department who is a member here - but he was a very well dresed exception.
 Totally agree. There's a real air of thrift-shop about all Koala-T's fits. Now, there's nothing wrong with thrifting, but it can encourage a magpie approach to dressing, which runs counter to the more careful approach you're advocating.
I visited my tailors (Cad and the Dandy) today and picked up the trousers for my blazer suit made from the famous custom tobacco fresco. I got the jacket a while back but the trousers had needed some further adjustment and it had been a while since I was in the UK.   I also had a second fitting for the 3-piece I am having made in a rather nice pinstripe mid-grey flannel from Holland & Sherry that I picked up on ebay. I wanted this with a bit more body than I normally...
 I have been thinking that I need some Chelseas recently. Actually for quite a whille. I think it was @DocHolliday used to argue that they were the most versatile boot you could own, and also the optimal choice in many situations. I reckon he may have been right. If I'd had a pair they would have been my choice for this trip.
I like it, but since I am away at my folks' place before heading to a conference with only my two fresco traveling suits and one pair of dress shoes, I don't think I can take part this week... unless my dad has some of his 60s Chelseas still around somewhere...
Eidos is far more Italian than many brands whose authenticity hasn't been questioned here, who actually make their clothes in Romania or Turkey or China and then have some superficial finishing done in Italy to qualify under European Union regulations to say that they are 'Made in Italy.' And what does authenticity mean even if the whole garment is made in sweatshops using low paid workers who just happen to be in Italy anyway? Companies who actually maintain their links...