or Connect

Posts by BostonHedonist

My general rule of thumb on bike pricing. If it's over 10k miles old and relatively new, the max price I'll pay is $5k. If it's Italian, add on another $2k. It it's a superbike... well I dunno.   Under 10k miles on it, and knock a grand off per year since it was new.   Any crash damage, just stay away.     But that's a very rough guideline. Great thing about bikes is people are always scraping their knee or having babies and then trying to get rid of them.   Show...
 "Custom Streetfighter" = Crashed."Custom" = Not getting return on investment."Tons of extras" = Asking way too much.  No such thing. You dare not get into dual sport if you're a raw beginner. But if you're young enough that your bones heal pretty easy, you could start on a dirt bike and get into offroading early. That's great experience there. Never really got my offroad chops. If you want bikes that have mastered raw function but aren't as focused on being cool or...
Clunky isn't necessarily a bad thing @Munky!  A good stout boot has it's place for sure (mine are easily in my top three favorites). I saw a pair of Trickers Stowe boots in a shop recently that the proprietor told me were 30 years old. They looked better than my Wolverine 1000 Miles did after two.   But would I bring them to Paris for a 12-mile walking day? Probably not.   My suede Carmina chukkas make great walking shoes. But there's always that risk of...
For some reason I just can't get behind crepe or Similar soles. Though Namor's are quite nice. I've never thought to try trickers Chelseas. They certainly do seem to have fun with the elastic coloring.
Does anyone have a pair of Trickers boots they find lightweight enough for walking many miles in warm weather? My Stowes seem a bit too clunky, sadly. (Please tell me the answer involves dark green cordovan.)
 Interesting, I had heard that generally it's better to keep a watch running. Not from a watchmaker though, so your source is likely better than mine..  I don't know your friend, but that's the watch for him. Tell hem to DO IT!!
Having flashbacks to a trip up Rte. 100 in Vermont last summer.   Three of us rode up, two on STRs and one on a Daytona. My buddy on the other STR dumped his bike in the last hour of the 11-hour day, going around a squirrely corner at the bottom of a decline. The sun was hot but dropping. We were all gunning it in the home stretch, cornering sharper and sharper. Then at one point I didn't see them in my mirror. Rode back the way we'd come slow for 1/2 mile. Then fast as...
I just have the fly screen, @Cool The Kid I've considered getting the larger wind screen, but I really don't enjoy much about highway riding (except that thrill you get at certain speeds) - and I don't really like the way it looks.   Always remember the cardinal rules of motorcycling.   Rule number one: Look good. Rule number two: Safety first.
The highway fatigue might be slightly lower on the Speed than the Street. Heavier means steadier, which means less using your muscles for balancing. But only minimally. Heavier also means more using your muscles to push the bike around in the twisties. What it comes down to is how much highway time you plan to clock. On the back roads I can ride my STR for 10 hours with breaks here and there and a few preventative ibuprophens - no problem. But if I take it on the highway -...
A moment of reflection on one of my daily habits caused me to learn something about myself.   Before I turn in, I always remove the day's watch, give it a once over, and put it back in it's space in The Box.   Last night - upon noticing that one watch had stopped running two hours prior -  I realized something: I don't like to pull the crown.   This means not choosing favorites. It means a more even rotation.   Because if you don't want to pull the crown, you need...