or Connect

Posts by BostonHedonist

Do you use a special app for trip mapping?
Sorry to hear of your off, @dohare. Hope you're not too banged up. Good advice on the helmet cam. I think I'll have to pick one up later this season.     @TRINI - I'm right there with ya buddy. I had my first 100-mile day of the year today. What's more, I just put my first 100+ miles on my new bike, found a new waterside road that was just paved, made friends with a pack of riders I crashed and was lead to the only motorcycle apparel store around here open on sundays....
 Great question. So here's the deal. While I used to be more of a woodsy person, I live in a city now. Back in the burbs, I had a Gore shell/insulation puff layer combo from EMS that worked well for winter sports, backpacking and so on. But in the city, generally any time I really need Gore Tex, I also need some insulation. In a warm rain I just wear a long raincoat. For me, the Gore tex comes out when its cold, windy and possibly stormy. Otherwise I won't sacrifice style...
Hey you might even convince an insurance agent that you have LoJack. Now that's what I call two birds with one stone.  Yeah I have the same thing basically, with the bright orange cord. But now I'm wondering... Maybe I should just use a big chain... which would suck to carry around. Gotta do SOMETHING to protect it, even if it's not all-out.
Yeah, I've never really heard of someone getting their cruiser stolen. Mostly tend to be supersport bikes or exotics under 4 years old.
It does require a layering strategy, of course. It's not like a big puffer that you can rock over a tee shirt and be toasty. But I prefer it, because that makes it more versatile in different types of weather. On the coldest days id wear something like a thermal Henley and a chunky wool sweater or my stark (with my trapper hat). On 25 degree and above days it'd usually be an Oxford and merino v neck. Above freezing, anything light is fine. I think the fact that it is wind...
I just need to say, the Arc'teryx Veilance insulated field jacket is the single best piece of outerwear I've ever owned. I used to switch my jackets almost daily. Now I don't want to wear anything else unless the weather is nice. It's completely waterproof, seam sealed, minimalistic and has every detail worked out in such a way that I could not imagine it having been done better, from the deployable hood to the placement of the key clip. This last point is a rare pleasure...
My buddy who used to live in Bushwick had a sweet Cannondale he rode around on. To protect it from theft, he covered the entire thing in stickers so it looked like a piece of shit.
But they have the little squiggly orange bar loop thingy...
Speaking of security and such, how many of y'all have had a bike stolen? Now that I have a flashy new bike I'm trying to figure out how to protect her best without going overboard. I was thinking a rotor lock and a big chain. Thoughts anyone?