or Connect

Posts by BostonHedonist

My novice impression is that Glashutte Original watches are highly regarded and mainly use precise in-house movements. Many consider GO manufacture finer even than Rolex (which doesn't say much in the realm of high horology). Glashutte, Germany is a watchmaking region and also home to Nomos Glashutte, which some say is one of the first larger manufacturers to have a truly unique take on horology in some time. No it's not Swiss. For purists that might be a problem. But for...
 I get my suits made in Thailand. My Bangkok tailor will actually be in Washington DC next Saturday, the 14th. If I remember correctly their suits run from about $230 for poly to about $1,000 for Zegna-tier fabrics. We're not talking Savile Row quality here, but all custom and they'll do whatever you tell them to (for better or worse). If it doesn't fit perfectly, they'll fix it for free and throw in something extra. Once they have your measurements you can email them...
 Assuming I'm not detecting sarcasm there... My accountant told me it was gangbusters on topcoats at JAB, some time in January. In the store everything was marked "buy one get one" or somesuch thing. Online, however, straight markdowns. I showed them the price online, found the best fitting example, and they honored it. There was some double-markdown happening as well. Still, at the price I paid, I had a hard time believing anyone actually payed the $1000 sticker price. My...
I do have one item from Jos. A Bank: A full-length 100% cashmere topcoat in black. Sure, it was sized 4" below my accurate size while fitting like a cloak. But the fabric was actually pretty decent for Chinese cashmere. My tailor, who ultimately made it fit properly, could not believe I paid under $200 for it new in the store (some sort of sale was on).   So I suppose I could say Jos. A Bank is o.k. for a "beater" cashmere coat. I do find myself trying not to expose the...
 Oh to have your level of knowledge on such subjects!  It does make sense, what you say, of the high popularity of the sub. Wasn't it the first model Rolex made? Didn't mean to suggest that Rolex' prerogative was to make the watches light-weight, customizable and compact. However, that's what the older GMTs seem to be, comparatively speaking. I was quite tempted by the Omega 231.10.44.52.06.001 But I don't really want my travel watch to be so big and in-your-face. I do...
Here here! There's a lot to like with the older models in my opinion. At their core, Rolex have always crafted celebrated tool watches. A light, compact, all-metal construction that can be easily cleaned up or customized for a few bucks just seems true to that vein. In addition, I feel as if BLNR fever has caused a great sell-off of a discontinued line that will quite soon be regarded as collectors items from, as one writer put it, "When the GMT was still a tool watch."...
Ooh I quite like this! Not sure about that bracelet but the design of the watch itself has got a lot to like.
Very useful information as always. Very reassuring. Now then. I can excitedly say: Incoming!As for my search, I had a chance to compare both of the new ceramic models and an older 16710 in a final showdown. In the end I decided I'm just not sold on the BLNR, or ceramic in general. There's a certain soulfulness in the older models I found undeniable. And also, a surplus of people selling them off to upgrade!Pics to come.
FWIW The only way I've kept off weight that I've lost is by changing long-term habits. That being said, if you ever want to drop 5lbs in 10 days, eat nothing but soup. Low sodium. However, you'll gain it back the second any manner of cheese shows up in your fridge!
 I went up into Hackney and visited a few pubs on my last visit (December). The Streetwear styles reminded me a lot of Brooklyn New York in that, more or less, anything seemed to go. The main difference seemed to be that in Brooklyn, people are usually concerned with doing something distinctively new (for better or worse). I also saw scores of students dressed as Santa Claus having some sort of hootinanny. In central London, things were indeed much more formal. I stopped...