or Connect

Posts by BostonHedonist

After writing in to the Omega mothership, I was directed to a boutique a ways west of Boston, where the in-house tech was known to hold a certain joy for regulating Speedmasters.  [[SPOILER]]  The tech was not in today. But Speedy should be ship-shape by the time I return from Puerto Rico on Monday.
Cars, watches, clothes whatever it might be; I try to buy nothing that I can't afford to destroy (note - not a homeowner yet).   If you can do that, maintenance cost for your effects will never be too bothersome and you can buy however you please.       I do hope somebody in here winds up with a Snoopy Speedy. It would make a good mascot.
"Effortlessness" may not be the best word to encapsulate what I was getting at, but I think you distilled it pretty well @Fuuma   I guess the theme of what bugs me most in style; in people; in bikers; really anywhere, is a lack of genuineness. Calling a person's style "nearly effortless" is just another way of saying that they've figured their shit out a while ago and - perhaps as you suggest - edited their wardrobe to a point where they can just throw on anything and...
 Yeah, that's it isn't it. Thanks for clarifying.  I guess style is a bit like religion, everyone's got their own set of beliefs. Some regurgitate while others do it their own way. Some enjoy a little point-counterpoint. And some are straight up zealots. But none of it is inherently wrong. Except yoga pants in public. Edit:@Fuuma - You are bang on, mate. After thinking about it, I must concede to your point #1 re:the context in which my impressions were formed. As to point...
Following up on my Speedy situation re: the gray market topic - apparently for a non-COSC certified Omega movement +7s/day is normal. Not sure about the position error though, but they seem pretty common on WUS. Some get crazy about regulating them, which apparently isn't expensive as a stand-alone service.   Anyhow, I don't regret my decision, and not just because I paid for 80% of it with AMEX rewards points.
 The bonding of man and machine is another perfect example, but not from a standpoint of needlessly bashing the intellectual exploration of the realm of the senses... In the world of motorcycles, there exists what we call the "park and polish" crowd. They have gorgeous, expensive, meticulously-detailed, fine machines, yet when they ride them, it is often through a visibly great effort - both to not blemish the machine and to concentrate on the actual ride. To a new rider,...
@Renault78law   Bobs Watches has a decent reputation. Or there's eBay. I know eBay has a less-than-savory reputation as a place for luxury shopping, but if you budget a full overhaul into the purchase and buy low enough, you'll still get a deal and it'll come back from Rolex looking and working close to new anyway.   Problem with online is the lack of manufacturer warranty. So make sure if you buy online you budget in a possible service.   But if brand new is your...
A moment ago, I was watching a video featuring Jeffrey Ying and thinking to myself. "What is the core of what attracts me to a person's style?"   Because his outfits were great, totally fun, fine, complicatedly laid out and all. His sense of style did not make me envy the man, as it does with some. I realized, it was because he was completely fashion obsessed and it showed.   Next, I determined this: No matter what your style, you've got to make it a nearly-effortless...
Good gracious @mimo ... You certainly don't half-ass things.     FWIW, I got my Cartier catalog by hobnobbing at the AD on Newbury while pondering Tank XLs.     PS - Don't forget Nomos.     And March 31 was forever known as Catalog Day.
I just love hobnobbing with associates at ADs and milking it for catalogs, magazines, etc. A little retail suck-up is great fun once in a while. I'm trying to teach Beautiful how to work sales associates, but she always likes to be left alone to ponder her purchases unaffected.