or Connect

Posts by swad

THE briefcase. This thing will last you the rest of your life.   Saddleback Thin Briefcase - Large Chestnut - Retails for $490 (including shipping)   The original design with the hidden logo... which I much prefer to the current version. Selling to maintain my bag habit. Used on and off for less than a month. Very clean, shows only slight signs of use... and those are only the first steps to a beautiful patina. Treated with great care and with the...
A sharp leather duffle that I've customized for a more handsome look.   Latico Cabin Duffel in Custom Cafe - Retails for $175     I loved the profile of this bag, but I didn't care for the contrasting stitching, so I turned it back with shoepolish. It looks fantastic now, and when I took it out I got quite a few compliments on it. Very masculine. Taken on only one weekend trip. Very clean, shows only the slightest signs of use. Treated with great...
A beautiful basic leather duffle made from Peil's full grain vaquetta. A heck of a deal.   Piel Leather Goods Traveler's Select Medium Duffel Bag - List price $332, Retails for ~$200      Brand New with Tags Made with Piel's full grain Colombian leathers; Fully lined interior Includes leather shoulder strap. Dimensions: 10.5" X 21.5" X 10.5" (42.5 linear inches) Free shipping in the contiguous 48 states. Selling to maintain my...
A handsome, practical shave kit in a nice dark brown leather. This thing will last you the rest of your life.   Mulholland Brothers Shave Kit in Stout Leather - Retails for $150   Taken on only one weekend trip. Very clean, shows only the slightest signs of use... and those are only the first steps to a beautiful patina. Treated with great care and with the finest materials available: cleaned with Lexol, protected with Obenauf's. (I love my leather...
In my opinion, the nicest looking Gladstone bag out there, handsome and practical in a nice dark brown leather. This thing will last you the rest of your life.   Mulholland Brothers All Leather Safari Bag - Stout - Retails for $895   Taken on only one weekend trip. Very clean, shows only the slightest signs of use... and those are only the first steps to a beautiful patina. Treated with great care and with the finest materials available: cleaned with...
Thanks for the replies, but I don't buy the argument that we have to sacrifice comfort for durability.   This is one of those cases where, at first, it seems like we want contradictory things: durability and... well... I'm not sure what to call this other quality, but let's call it the won't-tear-up-your-cashmere quality.   But these two don't have to be contradictory. There are plenty of high-quality, durable, non-scratchy YKK zippers out there that Filson could...
So no one has observed their Filson zippers getting better with time? If not, that's pretty damning for a company that puts function over form.
I carefully took a fine file to the zipper on my 257 before I cut it out. The parts that "bite" are the top right and top left corners of the teeth. The file certainly made them smoother, but the zipper pull snagged a few times.   So I wouldn't recommend trying to fix it.
It seems widely acknowledged that Filson's brass zippers are hearty, yes, and beautiful, but they're so sharp that they easily scratch/pull delicate materials.   I called Filson to ask about the zippers, and the rep I spoke to said they might get less sharp with time. He wasn't confident, though. I cut out the zipper from my 257 (now perfect!) but that's not an option for luggage.   For those who have had their YKK-zippered Filson pieces for a few years - do the...
I have the feeling you'll need to be an email subscriber for it to work; it may be just for specific email accounts. My strategy is to sign up for as many promo email lists as I can for the stores I shop, and then use a Gmail filter to put them in a folder and keep my inbox clean.   You might try the link from this page: http://www.techbargains.com/vendor_detail.cfm/599/Onlineshoes-com-coupon-code