Posts by goneAWOL

I saw that Gilt is going to have a Incotex sale starting today at noon.  What price do you think a pair of wool flat fronts would have to be for it to be a "good deal"?
Sounds like I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  Looks like you have some pretty good finds, I especially like the Oxxford.  My only advice to you is to be careful buying things that are pretty dated.  Its easy to get excited when you see a good brand, but you need discipline to tell you its too old and outdated.  If you keep up with your thrifting, you'll eventually come across some nice, recent suits and sportcoats.  You'll have a full closet, and will want to get...
  Quote: Originally Posted by mainy  +2. You sell all 5 of those, bet you could clear $1200 easy. That's a lot of money to buy another suit that is perfect   If I were you I would sell all of them except my favorite suit, which would probably be one of the purple labels.  Then you can get the one suit tailored to fit properly.  There's a certain pride/value you get from a sweet find that is tough to get even when you buy an item at retail.  This is especially true if...
Because the investment in the jacket was only $50, I would not go spend $100+ on to rebuild vents, mess around with the armholes or anything like that.  No matter how much you spend on it its not going to look perfect.  I still think you can make it look really good at an affordable cost.   Based on the posters above, it probably is a good idea to bring in the sides first.  However, I still think that if they are brought in too much it will shift the pockets and...
And make sure to take posts by people like manofstyle85 with a grain of salt.  Otherwise, you'll get mad everytime you go thrifting and don't come back with a Kiton or RLPL.
The reason I mentioned taking in the back seam is because I recently went through a very similar experience as the OP.  I purchased a nice used jacket that was a size too large, and I was unhappy with the waist width.  I didn't even pay attention to the amount of excess fabric draping on the back, but my tailor immediately pointed this out.  I also have another jacket that is shaped very well in the waist, but there is a lot of excess fabric on the back.  The point is,...
Whether the jacket is single-vented, double-vented, or un-vented will affect the price and how well a tailor can do this.  With a single-vented or un-vented jacket, they maybe be able to take in the back alone to achieve what your looking for.  This would probably cost $20-$30.  If it is double vented, a tailor can only take-in a little fabric from the back seam without messing up the vents, so they would have to take-in both the back and sides.  I recently had this done...
  Were these actually thrift store finds, or consignment store/used men's store finds?  How much did you pay for that stuff?    
I came across these really old (60s or earlier), but overall nice condition outdoors shirts today.  One was by Brooks Brothers, the other by Abercrombie.  The Brooks looked mint condition at first look, but when I looked closer there were small white spots on the fabric, which almost looked like wax drops, and I thought I could possibly remove them in a washing machine.  The Abercrombie had a small stain as well that I thought I could possibly get out in the wash....
I've actually picked up a few of those BR woven in Italy shirts.  I would normally pass on BR without a second thought, but those seem to have a nice fabric and are the appropriate slimness.  I'm not sure if they were special shirts that could be ordered online or what.   Nice RLPL polo by the way too.  I still have yet to see a anything purple label.