or Connect

Posts by proximatecause

My advice is to get to the diamond district and cut out one layer of the transaction. Also, I feel it should go without needing to be said but do your research and negotiate! If possible do the purchase in cash and you can save a lot if you have planned thoughtfully. For the record -1 emerald at 1.26 carats vs1 and two trapezoid .88 set in a custom platinum setting (completely off of Tiffany's website). Grand total $12,500 for the ring and engagement weekend away. This...
I am interested in similar societies as well, mainly SAR, Union service members descendants, and the New Amersterdam society. Let me know how you proceed with the applications. My great-grandmother was active in a local DAR chapter about 80 years ago, but not sure how I can prove my membership other than an affidavit on a family tree. Cheers!
Thanks Reggs - exactly what I was hoping for. I would not have thought of a toy or candy for a co-worker's kid, or Emergen-C for that matter.
Like many of you I keep a few things in my office in case of emergency or for everyday necessity. I thought it would be helpful for myself, and others, to discuss what, why, how much, and real life stories of preparation coming through in the clutch.   For the record I am thinking of items along the lines of Tide Sticks, tooth brush, mouthwash, etc.   Cheers!
I have done contract work and several of the attorneys - right out of law school and laid off experienced attorneys, run their firms right on the job.  However, successfully doing so requires the cooperation/turning a blind eye to your constant phone calls by the manager of your contract. I rarely witnessed any of these solo-doc reviewers being the type of attorney I want to be.  If you can devote a few weeks to full out planning and have money saved to cover the first...
You are correct on the Chicago EMH...I did not edit.  Thank you for fleshing out the difference, I failed at making that point  - I just finished Skildelsky's book on Keynes revisited, and I'm warming to him.   I get why the whole algo thing is attractive, Simmons showed how well it can actually work.   My taste is still for value investing - it doesn't matter how many people have those tools available to them, the principles are still applicable to almost any...
I might launch in January in either NYC where I currently work or in Westchester. Previously I worked in private equity as a consultant attorney and am now working as a staff attorney at a big firm - not on the big firm wage scale, so I will run a tight ship.  As of right now I have a sole proprietor designation in Westchester county. Like all else in life, if one really wants something the biggest obstacle they face is in the mirror. (I will conceed that capital...
See Roger Lowenstein's "When Genius Failed" - Merriweather and his All-Star's simply followed the alogrithm until...   I'm sure your outfit is adequately quant-ed up but it is still hard for me to swallow as a value investor. How do you not go crazy checking your swings every 10 seconds or owning a company for less time than it takes to make a latte? I get it, you have confidence from a few dry runs but I would much rather find a five year track record of improving...
In no particular order...   Flowers - I found this while in high school while ripping through my Dad's old record collection.  It has such a great mix of lyrics, rhythms and is absolutely hilarious!   Let it Bleed - Blues, Country, Rock and Sexy as hell.  Anyone off the street would say "I love that song" to at least one track on the album.   Exile on Main Street - It has it all...
Headed to Litchfield for the weekend, picked up two cigars at Nat Turner on 42nd.   1. Romeo y Julieta - Habana Reserve   2. Cheap Nat Turner.   Nothing special but looking forward to whiskey, cigars and views of the lake.  Cheers mates!