or Connect

Posts by ballmouse

Yeah, I know. A lot of those are considered true movie classics that people would name in their all-time top 25 favorites. 'Classic' Hollywood films  pre 1960s usually go well for me, whereas post 60s and foreign films suffer as they seem more drawn out which I find a lot of times unnecessary to convey to the viewer what is necessary to move the film towards the end. As a 3.5+ film usually means I would watch it again, something that I find unnecessarily long tends to get...
In the past month, I found the following movies I attempted to watch/watched not so good (2-3/5) and do not recommend despite relatively high ratings in movie databases:   Nightmare Alley And Then There Were None Scent of a Woman (Original Italian version) Purple Noon Ashes and Diamonds Throne of Blood Raging Bull Ugetsu Pepe le Moko Umberto D Guess Who's Coming to Dinner Harvey
  Extended family and friends try to encourage a young lady to marry. A film that touches of the conflict of peer pressure versus self determination, pre WWII versus post WWII Japanese culture, and external versus internal self image. 4/5   And a few short, decent (3.5/5) film-noirs...     Broderick Crawford goes undercover at the waterfront to identify the boss mobster who has tightened up the rackets and killed a few cops and witnesses of the...
I was intrigued by one of Brando's lesser known films Morituri, also starring Yul Brynner. It's actually quite good despite being a box office failure when it was released.   Brando plays a German war pacifist blackmailed into playing an SS officer and sabotaging a freighter so that Allied forces can capture the cargo onboard. 3.5/5
  I saw this years ago as a college student in a foreign cultures class and enjoyed it. Rewatched it again tonight and still had a pleasant viewing experience. Despite the somewhat surreal style, which reminded me of the documentary The Thin Blue Line (an interesting documentary about how an innocent man is convicted of murder), the cast outside the 2 stars are frighteningly realistic in their behavior when an old widow marries a much younger Moroccan migrant worker.
  A light-hearted romance film featuring John Wayne. Good story, good acting, and delightful cast. And shot in beautiful Technicolor under the mastery of John Ford.
Most coats are just slightly below the knee - see some photos I quickly dug up.   Ronald Colman 5'10" wearing a similar coat in Random Harvest (1942).       Alan Ladd 5'6" with son wearing a trenchcoat. The son's looks a little too short, ending above his knees.     Alan Ladd again  
  A hard-working mother unknowingly inches closer towards tragedy as she divorces her husband and starts a successful restaurant business. 4/5
Perhaps Gattica, The Day the Earth Stood Still,  or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And if you like thriller/horror sci-fi, Alien or The Thing.