or Connect

Posts by ballmouse

I just finished book #55 Charles Willeford's Miami Blues, which is the first book in the Hoke Moseley series. The writing style reads very similar to James Crumley's, although a little less descriptive and to the point (a la Elmore Leonard I suppose, who wrote the introduction to the novel). Therefore, you can expect a bit of crusty nostalgia, dry satirical remarks, and tired grumpiness in this detective novel. I liked it. I'm going to start on the rest of the series.
 Not sure how similar these are, but they might be fun enough for you. Secret of the Incas Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid The Americanization of Emily The Lavender Hill Mob The Court Jester Scaramouche Some Like It Hot Lover Come Back North by Northwest
I'm around 120 pages into The Alienist by Caleb Carr, a detective thriller set in 1896 New York City, for #52. The one thing that really impresses me about his writing is his descriptions. He has a great knack for imagining a scene and describing it so well it feels like I'm watching a film. A great read so far.
I haven't read books since high school (and then not particularly for enjoyment), but I had been going in and out of the local library earlier this year for DVDs and decided I might as well get a few books while I'm at it.   I guess I just never found any books I liked before, because I was actually able to finish reading my 50th book this year today. Granted I think I just like books meant for people who don't like reading (e.g. pulps), but at least I'm having...
 Finishing up on the last Scudder novel I'm going to read. I think the 80s ones were the best. While they aren't 100% detective novels, they are focused on the detective. All those ones starting from the 90s seem to be about the detective's friends and acquaintances. Nothing wrong with that, but then the novels are less about what detective novels are about and more about relationships and all the other things most detectives (or at least fictional ones) don't really care...
According to the blog, it's some sort of Drapers cashmere wool.
 Read the next 3 in the series - When the Sacred Ginmill Closes, Out on the Cutting Edge, and A Ticket to the Boneyard. Enjoyed the first 2, but Boneyard... seemed more like a suspense or thriller novel so I didn't enjoy it too much. About to start A Dance at the Slaughterhouse.
I'm surprised that it's a LL design. Was the original purpose to make it an overcoat fabric?
Shake Shack's a good option when you're at JFK, but I wouldn't trek particularly far to go to one. Maybe if it's across the street from you and you're hungry.
Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block. It's my first read of the Matthew Scudder series. It's an easy read, nothing fancy, but it doesn't read like one of those early pulp novels. There's a certain...polish to the style maybe because the narrator seems less of a narrator and more of a troubled alcoholic detective.   Will continue reading the series.