or Connect

Posts by ballmouse

Really enjoyed this western. One of those atypical westerns that started popping up after the 60s. Newman plays an Indian who is the (anti-)hero of the picture.   Also watched the 5 Anthony Mann-Jimmy Stewart western pictures. Ranked in order of most-least favorite:   1. The Man from Laramie 2. Winchester '73 3. The Far Country 4 (tie). Bend of the River / The Naked Spur   The top 2 are decent. Far Country was good until the end. Didn't like Bend of the River...
I re-watched Alien, which I remembered I really enjoyed. But to my disappointment, I didn't really enjoy it this time.   Background of the ship/company is probably the best part of the plot, but it's not focused on after halfway through the film as then it's just a standard horror plot without any truly scary scenes. The characters and development are a bit lacking (probably the issue with most horror films). And the most iconic scenes did not look as fascinating as I...
Regarding teenage cult movies, I liked neither The Breakfast Club nor Rebel without a Cause.   I think I liked American Graffiti and Ferris Bueller's Day Off better.   But I haven't seen any of them in a while, and I tend to avoid those sort of films.   I did see Serpico a few months ago - it is really good. Might have mentioned it in this thread. Prince of the City is a similar film (takes place around the same time as Serpico and is also directed by Lumet), but the...
  My favorite of the noir boxing films I've seen (mostly due to story/acting as opposed to actual boxing scenes) which would include Gentleman Jim, Body and Soul, and The Set-Up.   EDIT: Just watched Kid Galahad (1937 version with Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis, and Humphrey Bogart). Probably has the best story, although not exactly a noir. Enjoyed it as well.
    Watched for the 2nd time - it is viewed much better when taken in the context of a comedic performance.   A similar WWI film but not comedic at all is King and Country.  
  A harmless teenager is sentenced 1-15 years for helping her husband rob $40. Once inside, she faces the reality of prison and the real world.
 I agree, and I found it even better when reading up on the history of the court martial as it appears that the filmmakers didn't just make up that speech for the film. It was what Morant actually said when questioned during the trial.
  War courtroom drama about three Australian officers charged with murder after killing Boer prisoners during the Second Boer War.
  Great film - with some nice 30s style tailoring too. Kind of Capra's sneak preview of It's a Wonderful Life made 14 years later.
  Pretty good film. Reminded me a bit of It's a Wonderful Life. It was a bit annoying though that Wanatabe seems to mumble throughout the entire film. I felt his lips barely moved even when he talked.