Posts by ballmouse

I watched The Front Page and it's like seeing the world after receiving prescription glasses. The remake His Girl Friday always seemed a little blurry with the storyline and the motivations of the characters, but watching the original clears up a lot of questions.   In fact, I think His Girl Friday has far too many inside jokes that don't make sense if the audience hasn't seen the original version.
An Easy Thing by Paco Ignacio Taibo. About a detective in Mexico City. Though unlike most fictional detectives, he has siblings that take part in the story and a few self-employed craftsmen that share the same office space. He takes 3 cases, 1 of which is about finding Emilio Zapata, a revolutionary long thought to be dead - according to the history books. A fun read that makes me think of James Crumley's detective novels. The detective, Hector, knows he's a little out of...
The quote needn't even be true and I'd still believe Vivek said that.
If you look back at the the drafts starting with 2013, the only players that look like they could be 3x All Stars are Giannis (2013), Embiid (2014), and Towns (2015). Maybe Gobert, Wiggins, Parker, and Porzingis, although I think they're more 2nd Tier.   Plus Embiid has a good chance to also be a future DPOY.
 I finished #20 (Firebreak), so I wanted to give an update. I would say most of them are fun and readable. I really dislike the ones from the 70s though (Deadly Edge to Butcher's Moon). The ones from the second run (90s starting with Comeback to Firebreak at least) are surprisingly good. Probably as fun and readable as the first few. I thought they would be written just to cash-in on the name, but if they were then Stark/Westlake didn't write like it.
I could've probably tossed Platoon, La Haine, or City of God into the top 10, but I haven't watched them in a while. Some post-1979 films I like:   Leon: The Professional The Dark Knight Batman Begins House of Flying Daggers Adaptation. Spy Game Ocean's Eleven Yi Yi Memento The Matrix The Insider The Thomas Crown Affair L.A. Confidential As Good as It Gets Gattaca Heat Pulp Fiction The Shawshank Redemption The Last Seduction A Brighter Summer Day Who...
I probably should rewatch my top films more often to confirm, but I think this is a pretty representative list for me.   Some Like it Hot Gilda Fight Club The Wild Bunch The Godfather Chinatown All About Eve Psycho Only Angels Have Wings Witness for the Prosecution
 I don't know if it was color coding, but what about Argo? I thought that was a nice touch to make the film look older.
He reminds me of Vlade Divac.
Honestly, I liked those 2 DB suits. Their haircuts create a jarring image though with such an austere suit.   It's like wearing a nice suit with hi-top Jordans.