or Connect

Posts by ballmouse

Secrets of the Incas with Charlton Heston was probably an influence for Indiana Jones as well.
 I can't recommend the original Wages of Fear by Clouzot enough. It's probably my favorite suspense film of all time.
 I agree with you actually. I love the first half to two-thirds of the film. But the film sort of switches gears from the original plot to a rom-com without enough reference back to the original plot. Nevertheless, I think it has a lot of elements that made To Catch a Thief and those 50s and early 60s Hollywood films great. Plus it's one of those more unknown gems, and the 50s had a ton of those I feel are really underrated.
I actually was disappointed by The Magnificent Seven. Other than the scene with the hearse (probably up there as one of my favorite scenes in film history) and the magnificent score, I found it very difficult to watch. Then again, I also found The Great Escape (also by Sturges) a little flat as well, and these appear to be his biggest hits. Maybe his films are just not my style.   On the other hand, even though Seven Samurai is like 3 hours long, it's pretty engrossing...
I've been in Philadelphia (99% Center City) for the past 3 months due to work. It hasn't been so bad.
        A couple of early Gable-Harlow pairings. They essentially play the same characters in both films. Gable's the man in charge, a little lewd and crude, but he gets the job done. Harlow's the lady who's not quite a lady, but just lady enough for Gable. In fact, the other woman in both films is essentially the same too - the proper English lady who's just a class above both Gable and Harlow.   The formula works well in both films - no doubt because both Gable...
59. The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins A very short read, but nevertheless an interesting one. It's nearly all dialogue driven, but the characters (almost all small time criminals) talk with a sort of self-assurance that they reveal their intentions (without exactly saying what they are) so the story is still quite clear. I imagine Hemingway would have liked this novel very much.
  Adolphe Menjou is the star in this role, playing Rita's irksome father. He wants Rita, the eldest unmarried daughter, to fall in love and marry so that his younger daughters can marry afterwards, so he manufactures a secret admirer, hoping to produce a suitable man afterwards. Rita falls in love and assumes Astaire to be the man due to coincidence, but Menjou absolutely despises him and makes multiple attempts to thwart the relationship.   Note: Astaire has an...
  This film was...a little bizarre. It's probably the only big budget film of the era that might be classified as a 'cult film'. Produced by Howard Hughes, he apparently disliked the original director and replaced him and subsequently a large portion of the original cut. And then he disliked the original villain and replaced him with Raymond Burr replacing an additional portion of the film.   I imagine at a certain point everyone start ad-libbing as they thought...
The blurb on character histories was a particularly annoying feature of the Scudder novels.   I liked how most of the older detective series (Archer, Marlowe, Continental Op) did not bother with that.