or Connect

Posts by Daytona John

Quote: Originally Posted by TCN Good article, I enjoyed the comparison. Great photos too. By the way, I think Alden did a much nicer job on my recent recrafting. Yes, I see they offer a very similar service at near identical pricing. Have any before and after photos?
Quote: Originally Posted by kitonbrioni Thanks for the interesting article. I've also found your Rolex articles to be informative. Thanks for the kind words!
Quote: Originally Posted by TomW You went in, failed to ask any questions, I failed to ask you any questions, yes. I did however ask questions over on Ask Andy, including a request for some before and after photos from folks who have gone through the process. would you like a link? Quote: did not educate yourself, Sure I did. I've been getting an education on shoes from the various forums for several months now. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by heavyd I have re crafted AE's numerous times over the past 10 years. Let me say that I agree entirely. It took me a long time to figure it out, but I no longer wear them. The sole wears down quickly to begin with and the re crafted shoe always has problems. Thanks for the kind words!
Quote: Originally Posted by grimslade TO be fair, it's not that easy to get a pair of Park Avenues for $120 new. I paid $150 for one pair, but that was not necessarily a repeatable event. It's true that when they say "near new," they don't specify the parameters. But expecting damaged leather to be replaced or magically healed seems a bit much. ... It would require total disassembly of the shoe. And I said as much in my article. My...
Quote: Originally Posted by TomW Start with a hidden agenda, add unreasonable expectations and ignore the disclaimers about damaged leather and you'll be unhappy with the outcome. What hidden agenda? I was also not made aware of any disclainers - I didn't use the webside PDF form - it was arranged at the factory outlet store and I mailed the shoes to them. Quote: Either you went into this expecting a miracle or with your head...
[quote=NoVaguy;676436]My sole experience with AE recrafting was better. However, nobody can recraft in such a way to fix cuts and gouges in a pair of shoes (2nd and 3rd to last pictures). [quote] I made that point myself in the article. Quote: If the used shoes had cuts and gouges in the first place, I wouldn't have sent them in. No such caveats are listed on the AE website. Quote: As for the final picture, it does look...
Greetings! I decided to take a break from writing articles about watches, and write one about shoes - I hope you enjoy it! Please respond to this post with any comments or questions. Click on the link below to read the article: http://rolexreferencepage.com/aerecraft/recraft.html
Quote: Originally Posted by imageWIS Indeed I was. BP has basically been good at combining complications and probably is best known for their flying Tourbillon with 8-day reserve, hardly innovative. Jon. Thanks for clarifying.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Nobody disagrees with you on that. I don't think anyone here said that Lange was not innovative A quote from ImageWIS: Quote: Personally, I'm a big fan of BP, but they aren't Patek, Lange, VC or AP; although, to be fair, Lange is a complete revival brand, but luckily they have been able to pull it off better than anyone else. They are about the same level as, JLC (as mentioned, they are less...