or Connect

Posts by John152

I'm looking to get a tie that would be perfect for an interview. I was looking at some the reppe stripe ties, but can't decide. Does anyone have any suggestions? The more soporific the better.
Quote: Originally Posted by mellowfellow [[SPOILER]] Very nice. What's the blazer?
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood Be careful here, I write very accurately and am regularly told that my emails are difficult for "normal" people to understand which leads to more confusion than if I'd simply written a long and meandering senence. For example: I write: The trouser leg aperture. They want me to write: The width of the opening at the end of the trouser leg. Doesn't always pay to use fewer words, especially if your audience is of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Milpool R is free, so you can use that to learn the basics of stats if you want. I actually found R to be harder to learn than either SPSS or STATA. I use STATA primarily and find it MUCH faster to use than SPSS. The learning curve is a little steeper, but once you learn the commands you can fly through things. SPSS is VERY easy to learn and would probably be good enough for beginning work. Most people I know...
I know this has been covered some earlier in the thread, but I would like some more discussion of the topic. I'm currently a poli sci undergrad who has written professional level academic papers. I have a working knowledge of statistics and statistical programs. I feel that the academic work I've done demonstrates a fairly high level of analytical ability. How could someone like myself leverage this into working in a business arena. Would a masters of applied statistics or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyoung05 Quantitative Analysis of Political Data - In theory, a class that attempts to quantify qualitative political data/statistics, come up with models, etc. The reality, though, was a way for social scientists to justify themselves and their research/study to the actual scientists, i.e. mathematicians, statisticians, chemists, physicists, etc. In other words, it was an attempt to make political science seem more like a...
So there's probably no chance of seeing the guncheck trousers in the Rudy cut, huh?
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut in the eyes of the students -- the ones paying money -- they're going for the education. i understand what you're saying, what the univeristy is trying to do -- in regards to research and making money. i understand that. but the average student isn't interested in that. their goal is to get an education. that's the point i'm making here. i think if you ask 100 students why they went to school, most will tell you...
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut i think the answer is privatizing college athletics. they'd stay essentially the same, but now all university funds go towards...you know, like, education. which was supposed to be the point. i have a GREAT article on it i found a few days ago. i'll post it here later when i get home. I think what has been said already is that many universities already basically privatize their athletics. Funding...
I know for a fact that LSU's athletic department is self-sustaining. The Tiger Athletic Foundation is the primary vehicle for this. The foundation is the organization that pays Les Mile's salary. I also know that at LSU the various non-profitable sports are funded by the revenues that LSU football and the various licensing agreements bring in. I haven't noticed anybody bringing up the point that LSU generates income by licensing various merchandise companies, etc. to use...