or Connect

Posts by John152

I don't think he has time series data, but if he does you are correct. There should, as always, be tests of multicollinearity before running the model. Also, depending on what the variables look like, he probably needs to break things like "demographics" into several dichotomous variables since "demographics" is probably a nominal non-ordered variable. Finally, like I said above, fixed effects would probably be a serious consideration.In short, I think this thread shows...
Data mining isn't necessarily a bad thing depending on the context, and what you really mean by "data mining." There is machine-learning type data mining, which attempts to pick up imperceptible patterns in the data, and then there is atheoretical trolling of the data to try to find a result (gotta find those stars in the output). The biggest problem I see with what he's doing is, again depending on what kind of data he is looking at, it probably needs a time-series model...
Adjusted r^2 takes into account the adding in of more and more variables.And while I'm here, why do businesses use Excel for stats work? I've never used it for statistical analysis, but it seems like it would be a major pain in the ass. Why not just learn Stata, R, or (god forbid) SPSS?
Okay, first how much stats knowledge do you have? Just curious because that might affect how I explain things. Let me get it straight first. Your data looks something like this store....sales....var1....var2.....var3....var4 1.........number...#......#..............#.......# etc... correct? It's still a little difficult to figure out what exactly you're looking for, especially in light of that last paragraph. I think, however, that a simple linear regression should be...
Are you trying to see if there is a significant difference between the variables and the constant? I've never really come across this. You can use a t-test to see if there are significant differences between two variables, but I don't think that really flies with a constant. You can't really look at correlations because there is no covariance. R^2 doesn't make any sense because it is the percent of variance in the dependent variable explained by the independent variable....
Not what he said. The OP asked about jobs in investment banking.This post outlined the OP's options in NYC. This post is saying that no one from a "proper school" would want to live and work in Arkansas. Whether right or not this isn't a commentary on the worthiness of Arkansas. This is a comment on the state of finance and an Ivy League education. Reevolving was arguing that coming from a state school the OP would either have to work in a back office position or take a...
Ben, I was wondering if you had given any thought to making sportcoats within the Benjamin line? I like the look of your suits, but don't have that many occasions to wear one. Sportcoats, on the other hand, are something I can swing more regularly.
[[SPOILER]] Mike,Any idea when the brown houndstooth sportcoat would be up? Also, any ideas as to price?
You should check out LaTeX. You have to learn a new programming-type language, but it isn't really all that hard. LaTeX takes care of the formatting, etc., and makes documents that look a lot nicer than WYSIWYG word processors.http://www.latex-project.org/
Jamison, Any ETA on when suits/sportcoats will be in for the Fall? I'm looking for a new suit, but don't want to buy anything until I see what you're offering.