or Connect

Posts by chogall

Quote: Great postulation, but huge disconnect with what actually happens in real life.
 Thank you for demonstrate you misunderstanding of the construction of the shoes, where the screws is NOT going to hit the inseam when properly mounted.  And, also, fillers are deposited to be thicker than the insteam for gemmed shoes.  For hand welted shoes, I cannot say for certain because not all shoemakers make shoe the same way. Everything can potentially go wrong but doesnt mean it will.
 BTW, Stefano Bemer (the shop, not the dead shoemaker) uses pure alcohol as cleaning agent and regular shoe cream for conditioning.  I would trust them over pseudo professional marketing of Saphir resellers in the US.
Oh, and by the way, initials/brass nailed outsole at the waist does penetrate into the insole, according to an SC dissection.   No, I will not provide pictures since scientific evidence is little appreciated in this thread/forum.   Or in the words of @emptym with his economist reasoning, on one hand something is true and on the other hand the exact opposite is also true.
@DWFII   Regarding yield (tensil) strength, measured in Mega Pascal/meter (MPa):   Stainless steel ~ 520 MPa Pine wood ~ 40 MPa Rubber ~ 15 MPa Leather ~ 33lb/inch = 589kg/meter = 0.00058931 MPa   In conclusion, leather is at 5 degrees of magnitude weaker than rubber and 6 degrees magnitude weaker than stainless steel.  In other words, leather is extremely inferior material for toe taps compare to rubber or stainless steel.  And it is extremely prone to...
@DWFII   Here's some basic arithmetic that rejects your claim/hypothesis of screws destroying inseams.   Given: High grade outsoles from Barkers or JR are usually ~5mm thick after finishing.  Flushed metal toe taps are 1.5mm thick and the screws/nails are usually 1/4" or 6.35mm long.  Gemming is usally 5mm thick for GY welted manufacturers.  Low grade cork sheet is usually 1/16" thick or 1.5875mm.  Low grade felt sheets are usually 1mm or 1/16" (1.5875mm) thick.   By...
 I thought he was always w/ C&J at the atelier behind the C&J paris shop? He designed the 337 last AFAIK.
@DWFII  If we geek it out, sound is the byproduct of the kinetic energy released when two forces clashed.    Here's how I would model and break down a stride motion:   1) Heel clashed against ground from distance.  Two forces directly clash against each other without much buffer aside from sock lining silicon/rubber cushion and heel stack.  This is the largest force generated during a stride and highest potential in noise/heat generation.   2) Then ball clash against...
     Hi.
 Scientific method relies on repeatable empirical evidences to validate hypotheses to repeal erroneous logic. Your hypothesis is that flushed metal toe taps are noisy.  And I actually had the same hypothesis until I walked many distances in shoes with flushed metal toe taps.  My experiences, along with others experience rejected your (and my former) hypothesis.