or Connect

Posts by TheDroog

Awesome, thanks for the feedback.
Can anyone with experience with both the Vintage Chinos and the Slim Fit Chinos tell me how they differ in fit re: rise, thighs, and taper? Aside from the ultra low-rise, the Vintage Chinos fit me pretty well. I'm intrigued by the Slim Fit Chinos since they have some spandex for stretch, but I'm worried that they'll be too tight for my thighs (I bike and run a lot). For reference, both Dockers Alphas and Uniqlo's slim fit jeans are too tight for me.
I'm not worried at all about LE or Canvas financially. If you follow this thread all the way back to the early years, people have been asking over and over again how the company can possible offer J.Crew styling for Gap prices (and sometimes Old Navy prices). Fact is, LE hits the sweet spot on a lot of its items (polos, oxfords, etc.) and this is part of their corporate strategy. So is their awesome return policy, which keeps people coming back for more. And you can be...
I have the same issue with the BB Elgins I bought. The thicker insole makes my feet sit higher in the shoe, hence it doesn't fit as well overall as my other regular AEs. There's more slippage at the heel unless I tie the shoelaces super tight. I've tried to remedy this by buying the AE waxed laces, which grip better over the course of the day. (The BB Elgins came with fairly cheap laces that loosened quite easily.) I hope this fixes the issue. Didn't consider changing...
Agreed, Signature is a disappointment. I have a few things from this line (sweater, rugby, chamois shirt, etc.) and they are all pretty awesome in terms of quality. But the fits aren't slim enough to attract the fashion crowd and the prices aren't low enough to attract the bargain crowd. Plus they only come out with 15-20 items per year, so there's little reason to check back in to see what's new. So much lost potential here. I do hope Signature sticks around long term...
I'm a big fan of regular Lands End tailored fit shirts. Since you can choose neck size and sleeve length, the fit is more customizable than LEC shirts. Overall quality is better too. However, the tails are very long because they're meant to be tucked in.
Nifty pattern matching recently via the Sartorialist:
Just browsed through all the new arrivals. Pretty darn good compared to previous seasons. I like the new Allen Edmonds selections with contrasting laces. I don't know much about Oak Street Bootmakers, but some of those shoes look quite good. And I've wanted brighter colored chinos from LE forever, and finally they're here. Some of the sweaters and jackets are totally wack (I'm looking at you, Fair Isle Blazer), but I like how LE Canvas is always willing to experiment a...
Does anyone have experience with the new waterproof material mentioned in the Outside article, Polartec's Neoshell (http://www.neoshell.com/)? I'm very intrigued because Polartec has always been a pioneer in synthetic fabrics, and if they think they can take on Gore-Tex, I want to give them a look. I bought Polartec fleece way back in the day when it was first introduced and was relatively expensive. It was awesome back then, and those fleeces are still some of the best...
Saw the movie last night. I'm a big Alien fan, both from the movies and the comics, and overall I really liked it -- it adds significantly to the xenomorph mythology and poses some nice philosophical questions about life and death. However, as that awesome Hitler video above mentions, there are some huge plot holes that could have been so fixed so easily. A few thoughts that might not have come up yet: [[SPOILER]]