or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

One of my best pals is a veteran professor of political science. He think Trump has a fair chance of winning. FWIW, he thought it very probable if Trump wins that we could expect the Capitol building to burn within 90 days!
Wrong! What are customarily called "Baltic" languages--Latvian, Lithuanian and Prussian [extinct]--are Indo-European languages. Like the Slavic languages they are in the Eastern (satem) group of Indo-European languages. Some linguists have posited an original "Balto-Slavonic" root-language ancestral to both groups. Others have denied this and claimed that linguistic similarities between the Baltic and Slavic languages come from Slavic "loan words" entering into currency in...
We reviewed the Sphinx pistols when I was editing Handguns magazine. This would have been at the time they arrived on the U.S. market back around 1992 or 1993. As I recall, they were okay, with no signal virtues or notable faults that we could descry. I personally wouldn't trade any of the nine Colt 1911-style pistols I own for one, but then I was never particularly impressed by the CZ tribe of pistols. They were okay, but I never could understand the hoopla over them...
^Well, I don't know if you can generalize from my experience with a couple of guns. I notice you mentioned using snap caps with your single actions. You may or may not be aware that with traditional single actions, those that don't have a transfer bar, like Colts and old model Rugers, you don't need snap caps. Just cut a short length of rawhide boot lace, fold it over and tuck under the firing pin hole (or firing pin in the case of old model Rugers) and you can dry snap to...
It happened to me several times with a Colt Trooper .357 Magnum (the old-style Trooper with the same lockwork as the Python). I finally got rid of it. This had the frame mounted firing pin. I think it happened once with my first Smith & Wesson M&P (Model 10). Thus, I don't like any extensive dry-snapping of revolvers without snap caps. With most auto pistols I don't find this an issue. I did once crack the firing pin retainer on my first Colt Government Model, but of...
There are two major advantages to hammer-mounted firing pins: You can see at a glance that the firing pin is intact. Also, you can check and see if the firing pin is about to break by pinching it and giving it a twist. Like yourself, I prefer a visible, i.e., hammer-mounted, firing pin. The foremost advantage to frame-mounted firing pins is that they are supposed to be less subject to primer extrusions pushing back into the firing pin hole and typing up the gun. That said,...
Well, Smith & Wesson .22 revolvers have had frame-mounted firing pins for many, many years. Do you have a beef with them? On the other hand, I have heard it claimed that the locks can malfunction and tie up the gun unexpectedly. Aesthetically, they are abominable, too, I think, making the gun look like a wind-up toy. I also distrust the MIM parts in the newer guns. I love and cherish my vintage Smith revolvers dearly, but I am uninterested in the newer guns. Perhaps,...
Perhaps if you were more specific about what you mean by a "stylish jacket," someone could help you. Buying tailored garments online is always chancy, and this increases greatly when you are ordering for someone else.
And I rather doubt it. The Saks in South Coast Plaza used to handle some Carmina shoes, but I don't think they still do. When I was in the Beverly Hills store a few years ago, they had some EG shoes, but I'm not sure about the current situation. Barneys used to carry a couple of C&J Benchgrades, but they haven't the last few times I was in there. Not much of interest at either the Beverly Hills or Fashion Island Neimans stores either. All those outfits seem much more...
Are you referring to the finger grooves or what? I don't care much for the looks of any synthetic grips (rubber, fiberglass, whatever), but all my Hogue Monogrips are handsome exotics--rosewood, kingwood, cocobolo, Goncalo Alves, etc.