or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

"No worsted odd jackets!" Now that's a new one on me, and I have been participating in this forum for almost 10 years. Sometimes I think people make up these curious "rules" out of sheer devilment. Smooth worsteds can make fine odd jackets. I have several blazers from smooth worsted that I cherish. I likewise cherish a couple of sport coats made from the now-defunct Porter & Harding Solway collection. Try to take away my Hardy Worsted Alsport jacket, and I'll kill you! I...
Well, if you fancy the jacket in light gray, why not just get the matching trousers and wear the whole thing as a suit? It could easily be dressed down for casual situations where you would wish to pair the jacket with navy slacks. As to pairing it with the navy pants, my judgement would be neither "great" nor "terrible" but just sort of "innocuous." Be advised that there are no few individuals on this forum, who include some "heavy hitters," who are adamantly opposed to...
Yeah, that one got me too. I do not own any linen ties and only a couple of cotton ties, but I have quite a few wool, wool-silk blend and textured silk ties, and they do very definitely ratchet down the formality of the suit in much the same manner that a button down shirt does. I am not saying that either the BD shirt or the textured tie are necessarily wrong with a suit, but I will eschew both if I really want to be "dressed to the nines."
^Potent stuff, snake venom--a real witches' brew of nasty toxins. An unpleasant fact is that rattlesnake venom in the USA has become a good deal more toxic in recent decades. There are several theories about this--transmittal from the extremely toxic Mojave rattlesnake through hybridization, or that the snakes are in an "arms race" with prey species of rodents that are developing more immunity or resistance to venom.
Just one old man's opinion, but since going tie-less with a suit or jacket s inherently pretty casual, I remain skeptical of the need for anything that would ratchet up the formality over a button-down worn open-necked. I could understand your desire to prefer, say, broadcloth over oxford cloth in this context, however.
This is actually kind of an interesting question. I know the U.S. Army used to designate its ankle-high lace-ups as "shoes." They even applied this designation to some footgear that was higher than ankle-level. When I was a youngster--this would be back in the 1950s--it was common to refer to ankle-high "work shoes." These days, I believe "work boots" is the more common, if not universal, appellation. On the other hand, chukka boots and their subset, desert boots, have...
Wow! That's up $300 from a VBC 140 suit I got from them less than three years ago.
I note that Patrick Chu made a short U.S. tour recently and is touring to other U.S. cities this month. I'd just like to restate my original question and see how high their prices have risen. It has been almost two years since I ordered anything from them.
Good to see you back, idnfl! I was a little worried about you. Well, I'll have to say that's even better BF imagery than "Patty." Either it's real BF or a man in make-up and costuming. The absence of any discernible facial prognathism, in contrast to most BF imagery and all real apes, strongly suggests the latter alternative to me. As to the "baby chupacabra," I am almost certain he's just a poor little dog--a chihuahua maybe--that has lost his hair to mange. The eyes...
Missed this oldie when it was first current. To have one's sex driving start tanking at 36 seems way too early. Mine began to decline precipitously around the time I hit 66. I do have to admire those old boys who manage to be implicated in sex scandals when they are in their 70s.