or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

Well, I would say that Glocks, which admittedly are very functional firearms, are to fine guns as Croc shoes (Do they still make those?) are to, not bespoke, but simply "good" shoes like A-E, Alden or C&J Benchgrades!
Well, I suppose a lot of this is where you draw the line at "very good"--for both guns and shoes. Let's just keep this to shotguns. For the price of a pair of Allen-Edmonds "firsts," you can easily buy a Remington or Mossberg pump action shotgun. They are inelegant, mass produced things. They have no particular aesthetic appeal or "class." But, they generally work as they are supposed to, and a good wingshot can do just about anything that can be done with a shotgun...
And in the case of a "London Best" gun, a very fine car at that!
^You are a brave man, braver than I am, certainly. If I had a fight like that with a 75-pound pygmy pig, I would certainly be very chary of tackling even an average-size 160-pounder, much less a big, ugly old 250- or 300-pounder, even with a proper boar spear with a crossbar like the one you show (Cold Steel?). In reality, of course, I am much too old for such undertakings these days. I am assuming that your brother uses some pretty peppy .45 Colt handloads in his Henry...
While I would certainly agree that properly tailored clothing is every bit as comfortable as the most casual attire, let us bear in mind that a great many men do not understand proper fit, and don't get well-tailored garments. They expect suit coats and sport jackets to be uncomfortable, and thus they will settle for ill-fitting jackets that bind around the armscyes or too-small shirt collars that choke them, which they then blame on the necktie. And so the expectation...
Well, if you dig the AR platform, why not just go with an AR-10 in .308--plenty of makers offering those, and you would have a cartridge with a lot more slap-'em-down power. Any guy tough enough to contemplate hunting hogs with a spear is not likely to be concerned out the difference in recoil between the .308 and the .300 Blackout. I am not sure how or why the latter cartridge would "punch through brush better." In any event, I rather thought the whole doctrine of "brush...
How about "Two-Ton" Tony Galento, a noted heavyweight from the 1930s and early '40s? A brutal brawler, he managed to deck Joe Louis a couple of times before Louis kayoed him in the fourth to keep his crown in their fight.
Thought I would post an update on this matter. At the beginning of this month I purchased two pairs of clubs (1-pound and 2-pound) and have been training with them on every day I don't hit the iron. (I do the elliptical machine and train abs and core every day, weights every other day.) I'll have to say that I am enjoying them immensely. They are a very fun way to exercise and can be quite strenuous. I find myself flushed and a bit winded after 20 or 25 minutes of vigorous...
I am well aware of the difference between a duster and a frock coat. I have seen both at cowboy shoots. The garments I was referring to were definitely supposed to be frock coats, not dusters. These "frock coats" are generally made of polyester and sell for about $150, so you can probably have pretty good idea that they are not well tailored!
Why would you prefer the low-powered .300 Blackout to a .308 for wild pigs? They can be pretty tough, and I have seen some of them soak up a lot of lead. A guide at the Tejon Ranch, where they kill a great many hogs, once told me he thought the .308 was the ideal cartridge for wild hogs. I realize that a very large percentage of the hogs harvested are 100 to 140-pound sows for which the .300 would probably suffice nicely, but if I wanted to shoot a big old 250- or...