or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

I have long regarded the bolo tie as, well, rather "bucolic"--attire for square dancers, cowboys and cowboy wannabes and such. On Friday, I attended a wedding--my wife's niece--and I was surprised at how many bolo ties were in evidence. Some of the guests were quite literally "bucolic," e.g., the grandfather of the bride, who is a 94-year-old dairy farmer. On him, the bolo tie was unsurprising. However, some of the other men wearing bolo ties were seemingly "hip" young...
^In much of the country, wildlife is much more abundant than formerly, for various reasons.
Were they red or gray foxes? Red foxes were quite common in my neighborhood in East Long Beach about 13 years ago but rather quickly vanished. My first thought was that the city surreptitiously exterminated them because they were exotics (descended from escaped or released pets) and are a terrible threat to the abundant bird life of the area. I now more inclined to believe they were wiped out by the coyotes.
^Sounds like you made some nice choices although I am not familiar with the Scabal Noble Tweed line. For some odd reason, when I was getting a lot of garments from Chan, W. Bill tweeds were priced way higher than their P&H counterparts. Later Chan offered the W.BIll tweeds at more more reasonable prices. I can recall when I got my P&H Thornproof blue Donegal tweed, the cost was about $300 less than a jacket from a similar W. Bill fabric. Several knowledgeable commentators...
As an alternative to Harrison's Moonbeam, you might consider Hardy Worsted Alsport in the faux tweed category although it is a little heavier. I definitely prefer it to P&H Glorious Twelfth, and I think it is a bit less expensive than the Harrison's offerings.Between Hartwist and Glenroyal, I think the difference is mostly a matter of fabric weight--560 vs. 425 grams. I love my Hartwist jacket but don't have a great many occasions to wear it in SoCal.In the past, some...
^What an incredibly heathen notion! As someone who has worn glasses for the past 57 years, I should like to think that if there is some sort of afterlife, I would at least have 20/20 vision. Of course, I firmly believe that heathenism is the natural religion of humanity. The Abrahamic faiths only go back 4,000 years. Contrast that with tens of thousands of years of dancing shamans in the caves impressing themselves on our ancestral memories. (And most of my ancestors...
For whatever reason, I find that I can often shoot tighter groups, in slow fire, anyway, with my K22 Masterpiece than with my Model 41. The .356 TSW was a cartridge with a lot of interesting potential. It's too bad it came along just as the 1994 capacity ban was enacted. There would be few problems chambering any 9mm pistol for it. It would be more potent than the 9mm and would have offered increased firepower over the .357 SIG or .40 S&W. I had a Colt Gold Cup in 9mm...
Cruelty and meanness are rife on the Internet--absolutely ubiquitous. Don't you realize Satan has taken up residence on the Net?
Well, if the current trend is to have the groomsmen look like clowns, maybe they could go all the way and all jump out of a Mini-Cooper and spray the guests with selzer water!
This month, my wife's niece is getting married. I asked the mother of the bride what the men in the wedding party were wearing to get some sense of the degree of formality. She informed me that they would be jacket-less and wearing suspenders and bowties. I was dumbfounded. I suggested that maybe they should add straw boaters and be strumming banjos or ukeleles (since they sounded like an old fashioned barbershop quartet or something of that sort). It sounded bizarre and...