or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

I had never heard the term until now. I suspect it is an anglicism. Perhaps Winchester, the venerable and famous English public school is the source of the name. I am quite sure that it has nothing to do with the firearms company. There is a line of Winchester apparel marketed under the Winchester name (which is about all Winchester is these days), but it's the sort of stuff you would expect--ball caps, T-shirts, sweat shirts and the like. Rather coincidentally, the...
There are different grades of shell, but they are of no importance to this discussion. Lower-grade shells have holes and perhaps other visible flaws in them. Otherwise, "Shell is shell," as a friend of mine who has worked with shell a lot once commented to me. Obviously, neither Alden nor A-E is going to make a shoe with a hole in the upper. (And no jokes about broguing, please!)
Winston Churchill wore bowties most of the time, for whatever that's worth.
As far as "impact" as a verb goes, I was oblivious to it before the late '70s, and I did first see it in business lingo. I don't know what it accomplishes that "affect" doesn't, but it clearly sounds more punchy. As a matter of interest, purists deplored the use of "contact" as a verb in the pre-WWII era. On the other hand, I see more use of verbs in lieu of nouns these days. A classic example is "invite" as a noun instead of "invitation." (Well, I suppose it does save...
^No knowledge of this business with dogs, but I know a man who had an orchidopexy performed when he was 15, and the surgically lowered testicle was actually larger than the normal one. This business didn't seem to affect his sex life at all, but he never sired any children. Sterility is often concomitant with this condition.
Well, I know that on humans for many years there has been an operation that pulls the undescended testicle down to the scrotum, giving the erstwhile monorchid two testicles normally positioned. The term for this is "orchidopexy."
Last December a neighbor of ours bought Weimaraner puppy for her post-adolescent son in hopes he would have a redemptive effect on the somewhat troubled youth. He is a lovely dog with a good heart. However, he has not had adequate obedience training, and I don't think the dog gets nearly enough exercise. Partly on my advice, they have left him intact. This Sunday, the Howl-O-Ween Dog Parade was held at a park near our house. It is a bizarre event where in people and dogs...
The other day I was getting my car washed--a sort of paleface equivalent of doing a rain dance--and we certainly need the rain! Anyway, sitting near me was a woman with a fluffy little white dog. There are a lot of fluffy little white dogs around, and I sometimes have a hard time differentiating them, so I asked her what the dog was. Her reply was, "Miniature Goldendoodle." Now that was a new one on me! Lest any of you think I was trying to flirt with the dog's owner, let...
Charcoal pants/suit: black, dark brown, merlot/burgundy Navy: Same as the above, with the addition of lighter shades of brown and tan like walnut and chili although with these you are ratcheting down the formality of your look.
My first recommendation would be to save yourself some money and get the Kenilworth in brown. It is currently on closeout at $197. It is a plain-toe blucher. It is versatile enough to be worn with a suit, yet could be worn with khakis or jeans. (Purists might disapprove of wearing such a shoe with suit, but unless you are dealing with men who hang out menswear fora, nobody else will mind.) If your PA's are a good fit, you will be pleased to know that it is on the same...