or Connect

Posts by JLibourel

I have a blazer made from a 12-ounce Lesser flannel for me by Chan some years ago. When the temperatures are under 65F or thereabouts, it is quite a comfortable garment. I have several tweed jackets that are appreciably heavier than that, and I get a lot of use out of them in the cooler months, which can extend through June.
I reviewed the Springfield Socom carbine some years ago. It impressed me as a pretty nice little rifle if you like that sort of thing.
Out of curiosity, have any more hides been salvaged from the Catharina von Flensburg in recent years? I seem to recall having heard that although there were still plenty of hides in the wreck, salvage operations had been suspended for a good many years. I don't remember why, but I believe safety was an issue.
I received it yesterday, finished reading it today. The book is mostly a collection of occasional pieces by Boyer, with some chapters written expressly for the book. Some of them appeared in Will Boehlke's "A Suitable Wardrobe" blog. There is no particular system or sequence to the book. For example, the first chapter is devoted to "The Ascot" (with some general discussion of men's neckwear). Chapter 2 is on "Boots," Chapter 3 on "Bowties." The chapters are scarcely...
I have used Clabber Girl Corn Starch in this manner with reasonably satisfactory results, but it generally took more than three applications. The baby powder seems more effective, so I'll have to give it a try when this comes up again.
The history is a little more complex. The Christian Filipinos had been fighting for independence from Spain before the Spanish-American War broke out. The Americans enlisted the help of the Filipino insurgents, then after the fighting with Spain ended, double-crossed them, and fighting broke out between the Filipinos and the Americans. This lasted for several years, and Ordnance's appraisal of the .38 revolver was that it had performed in a satisfactory manner in the...
As a bit of history, the original .45 ACP ammo used a 200-grain bullet at 900 fps (as I recall). This was for the first, primitive Colt .45 auto, the Model 1905. Army Ordnance devised a special cartridge for the 1906-7 trials that used a somewhat longer case than the commercial one and used a 234-grain bullet. The final cartridge used for the Government Model was a compromise, using the shorter, commercial-length case and a 230-grain bullet. I have never heard of a...
Does anybody make a 250-grain .45 ACP factory load? I was never aware of any while I was still in the business. I think this would have to be handloading proposition. Velocity would, of necessity, be quite low. With so many good loads out there in the 185 to 230-grain range, I don't see the need for an extra-heavy bullet in this caliber.
I'd just point out that Para-Ordnance (actually "Para" these days) is under totally different ownership and manufactured in a different facility than when they won the G&A awards. What their quality is like these days, I have no idea. Para's quality control was always a bit spotty. When they did everything right, they made some of the best out-of-the-box auto pistols I've ever tried. However, they did turn out the occasional lemon. Most of the Para pistols I tried were...
Could you be more specific? Do you want it as a "static" home defense gun, or do you want it for some sort of competition--Bullseye, IDPA, IPSC--or what?