or Connect

Posts by JFK

Quote: I just reviewed my credit card statement and saw that Ricky charged my card on 11/26. I placed an order on 27 May for a shirt which Ricky told me on 22 June he'd be shipping the next day. He charged my card for the shirt on 2 July. As of early September the shirt still hadn't arrived, so (having gotten no response from him to emails that I'd sent in July and August) I went to my CC company and had it charged back. I finally heard from him on 4...
If you haven't tried it yet, Huntsman, let me suggest the Bicentenary Edition Highland Park Vintage 1977 Reserve (Michael Jackson calls Highland Park "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whiskey"). It's not an Islay (Highland Park is on Orkney; it's the northernmost distillery in Scotland), but it's definitely an island malt - although with more heather than peat... The Bicentenary Edition is a beautifully complex 24-year-old, and it's right at your price point;...
It used to be Ketel One, Grey Goose, or Belvedere; now it's Hangar One. By far. And if you're interested in infused vodkas, look no further; this guy does the most amazing stuff with the most unusual fruits. You can buy some online at  http://www.caddellwilliams.com/hangarvodka_main.html (And no, I don't have any financial interest in Hangar One; I just think the guy that makes it puts out an amazing product.)
As jcusey says, the Barrie last runs big; I wear a 9 1/2 D in the Hampton last (in calfskin), but a 9E in the Barrie (in cordovan); the fit is virtually identical between them.
Quote: thanks b-s. though the fellow at alden mentions what not to use (neutral polish), he does not suggest what is appropriate to use. have you any suggestions? My cobbler suggested Kiwi Mid Tan; I've used it on my McCallums and am very happy with the results.
Quote: Have you tried the other Compass Box whiskies? A number of them sound absolutely delicious, although that could just be marketing fluff. No, I haven't, but the manager of my favorite spirits shop (whose opinion I've come to trust, particularly on single malts) has, and he likes them all. And based on my experience with the Hedonism, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the other Compass Box products are very good whiskies. I hope you'll...
There are some nice cedar ones here: www.hangercity.com
Nice collection so far. Actually, Talisker is probably one of the most overpowering of the island malts (btw: it's distilled on Skye, not Islay); it's very pungent, heavy on the seaweed/brine/iodine, and has a peppery afterburn that'll make the sweat bead up on your forehead. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as anyone's first experience of the island style, although many people love it. A better choice, IMO - though still a big whiskey - is Lagavulin. The 16-year-old...
I really like Hedonism; it's one of my favorite whiskies overall, and definitely my favorite blended scotch (although, in all fairness, I've never actually bought a bottle of blue label, so my experience of it is considerably less than my experience of the Hedonism, of which I've enjoyed several bottles). It's sweet and smooth, and has a very distinctive flavor (no doubt due to the lack of malt in the blend); it makes a great summertime drink with a splash of soda over...
raising my glass to you, JN3. best wishes.