or Connect

Posts by zackhyde

A house.  Shares of an exchange-traded fund. A gym membership.
I have a job I really like in small (about 12 person) group within a large organization. A co-worker of mine is has some prejudices.   The significant one here is that he is particular about where clothes come from. He is very into clothes. He has his shirts tailor made. He's got oodles of money and he clearly likes having money.    In contrast, I make okay money now, but I don't have lots. Over the years, I have honed by eBay and thrift store skills. Due in part...
I just wanted to let interested people know that Seiko 5 watches are on sale on Amazon. I just got two--one with a blue face for 50 bucks and one with a white face for 60.  Seems to be a good deal, for those of us who don't have a ton of money to spend on a high-end watch.   I bought a brown leather band for the blue-face watch, and I think it looks real nice.    This would be a good deal for a law student/ MBA student, etc., someone on a budget. These watches...
I'll start: Oxford-type shoes are the only suitable choice for a conservative business dress/ workplace environment.  Wrong.  I have been wearing boots with suits as a lawyer in  a big firm, more and more, over the past year.  Boots work really well with suits and are liked by the few people who notice.    Other possible rules that should be thrown out: Black suits are only for funerals.  Wrong.  I wear a black suit to work about 1 out of every 30 days. It's a...
      Like everything, it's a work in progress. 
I believe you have ascertained that you can hold off.  Same suit is fine for callbacks.     You can get some great ties on ebay for < $40, Canali, Zegna, purple label, whatever suits your fancy.     I went into my interviews with the attitude that, "If I sit at my desk all day getting high-quality work done, on-time, then you look good to the client."     Good luck and have fun meeting your colleagues. 
When I tie my tie, the narrow end of the tie faces forwards the majority of the time.  That is, it is oriented the same as the main part of the tie, with the seam to my chest.     However, about 20% of the time, it faces backwards.  When that happens, the knot typically otherwise looks fine.  Sometimes, everything is dialed in just about perfect except for that.  The dimple is centered, the point of the main part is centered in my belt, everything is just so, but the...
I work at a big firm.  At first, it surprised me that the way the partners dress is all over the map.  Many of the guys wear OTR Brooks Brothers, while some of the guys fly to London together to get shirts made. One of the managing partners appears to wear department store clothes--colored shirts, no tie, no jacket--and always looks very casual.     We take for granted that our new associates and job candidates will all dress about the same.  Perhaps the single most...
When you get dressed in the morning, in what order do you choose your items?     Also, what is your criteria for choosing?    It seems that once you've picked the first couple of things, the choices for the remaining items become very limited.  For example, if I choose a striped shirt, and then choose a tie with a pattern, it seems most patterned suits are out/off-limits.     Or, if I choose shoes first, then the belt is a foregone conclusion.  My impression...
When I leave for work, I'm typically carrying: wallet, key ring w/ one or two keys, cell phone.     Sometimes during the day, I end up with a few miscellaneous pens, business cards, etc.    What items go in which pockets?     I typically put my wallet and key in my right pants pocket and my phone in my left pants pocket.  This is because I end up taking my jacket off mid-morning, and I need my wallet to go in and out of various doors (there's an electronic...