or Connect

Posts by projectrtown

Don't hold out on us, Yoda. Do tell us what comes next.    
I do think fitted suits look better. Obviously, and not to be rude, this is not the case if you are fat. But don't get mad at others if this is the case.    
redo
I have a sinking feeling this thread has already been played out like a first suit thread on this forum. No doubt the equivalent of a "charcoal grew, notch lapel, single breast, two button" thing lies somewhere in the archives awaiting a search.   So recently I did something that has gotten me more compliments than any single aesthetic decision I have ever made (with the exception of hours at the gym), and it was also one of the cheapest:   I had all my shirts...
Hopefully, the forum members appreciate the exert that I have demonstrated by not calling this thread "A__holes". Now that I have explicitly made this pun, I hope it has got it out of our systems and it can be avoided in this discussion.   Soon after joining this forum, and googling suits, the importance of fit has come up consistently and with good reason. I immediately knew what people were talking about even if I hadn't thought about it before. Fit the shoulders...
I am not saying any particular person is escalating here, but I think this is a pretty interesting debate that is likely to get lost in the noise.    
Does your style reflect any particular era like Mlango's does?   We should really define what "style" means or what the goal is. I think that might be part of the confusion. If the goal is to "look good," then I assume it means to look good to others. As in, make people notice you, think highly of you etc. I think that even solid charcoal grey, sb, people want people to notice how understated they are etc. By your own admission, though, you "couldn't care less" if others...
  I got the impression that people were claiming that their wardrobes are timeless. Not that their tastes don't change.   It is one thing to claim that you have the same taste you developed 20 years ago, but its another to say that the clothes "look the same." Our perceptions are not what they used to be.   Some of these looks definitely look dated the way "big hair" from the 80s looks dated. The two obvious examples are large, padded shoulders and a boxy cut. Personally,...
I tried to put the point more delicately than Reevolving, but Yachtie and I got into a similar debate not even 5 posts back.   Suppose we were to grant that your personal style 20 years ago did not follow all these, but are you saying that your suits back then didn't have *any* of these features? That all around you this was considered popular and cool, but even then you saw this look as ugly? That no subset of these features crept into your personal wardrobe? How could...
I hate to push these threads to the point of sounding contentious, but I think you are making too-neat a distinction between what is fashionable and what you find appealing. I find it hard to believe that the current fashions exert no influence, or only a negligible influence, on your taste. If your taste was hermetically sealed from the rest of culture, your choices would seem extremely bizarre to others. If you sample liberally from the "fashion", then I assume that...