or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

My thanks to Derek Guy for pointing me to this thread. The inner anglophile rejoices with each spot of British tweed and touch of eccentricity.
Patrick, that makes two of us. Ever since I saw some old 'roo pairs from Isshi's collection, I've wanted to give a go for this excellent, tough leather. I did some research for a Keikari post now in the archives, and I came to understand why factories have abandoned it in EU and USA. It looks like calf but lasts so much better that makers would lose money by using kangaroo. A shoe addict's choice, I'm sure.
Beautiful kicks, sdolina! We don't see Maftei pairs on SF too often, but the maker has nothing to be ashamed for.
...and you are right about the weskit. Writes Eric Musgrave: "The suit jacket was made by Scholte of London, while the trousers, with zipped fly, were tailored by Harris of New York. The matching waistcoat was made by Hawes and Curtis, as were the two pique waistcoats. Scholte made the green corduroy version. Who else but a menswear obsessive would involve three tailors on different sides of the Atlantic for an outfit?"
Here it is, that DoW's MacDonald Lord of the Isles tartan suit with jacket by Scholte, trousers by H. Harris and cord vest by Hawes&Curtis.
I've been reading many style forums, blogs and sites for the last ten years. In my view, SATOR is one of the most important guys ever to have written anything online. Unlike most of us, he has an obsessive collection of old tailoring magazines, trade publications and books covering at least 150 years of men's tailoring. What's more, he has scanned and shared these documents with the rest of us with no penny for his troubles ever changing hands. I'm confident there is not a...
...that's the thing: I've joined Cutter and Tailor about a year ago, bcak then I sent him my contact message in the first place. I haven't heard back so I'm wondering if he has a blog, business site, Facebook page or other kinds of services in use.
Does anyone know SATOR? I'm having difficulties in reaching the guy and any help would be welcome.
One more go with vintage shoes: Florsheim's old long wings in buffalo leather with double leather soles, fibre insole, nylon heels, linen vamp lining, small but round toe, 360-welt. Too bad about those non-wood grain soles and unfinished make on the quarters and fibre sole, not many of the vintage Florsies I've handled have had these shoddy details. Maybe Isshi or meister can chime in about them. Not really visible from my 6'1'' height but they are still there. SF has a...
I can haz MTO Thorpe boots in Rioja Hatch Grain with double Dainite soles, GG06 last, black welt with white stitching, purple lining and brass eyelets in four months. How do you guys handle waiting times -- with boose or instakops?