or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

Saw those G&Gs on the other thread -- it's a beautiful, beautiful last and the calf looks...edible.
^Oh, it's dense stuff alright and one of the least porous leathers in use. Much depends on your feet: those who sweat much or get hot easily won't like shell cordovan, and in summer heat it's not nearly as cool as suede, buckskin or canvas. If you some day find a pair that's not as cmfortable, you can soften the uppers with Lexol. Enjoy the boots!
Thank you for the shot, nutcracker! The heelcup stiffener looks like leather all right, the toe puff celastic. There's more to fine shoes than design and details alone, and I'll stick with Hungarian or Eastern-European pairs.
Whut -- G&G uses plastic stiffeners? Can you share some Men's Ex dissection photo or similar of this?
Norvegese shüüs from the less garish end of the spectrum, that is, as wholecuts: While Meermin informed me that the leather is reputable and European, the creases are permanent and run deep. A shame and a minus.
DW, are there books on the history of shoemaking with nice coverage on factory-made pairs of the 20th century? I'd like to know more about how they used to make 'em, and how GW machines have changed things. I'm a bit reluctant to think we could ever shod all feet in 2014 with only hand-welted and made pairs, because The Gentle Craft doesn't appeal like, say, careers in law or business. We need alternative methods for OK shoes like Loake.
...what's funny about all this nitpickery, and I'm guilty too, is how Joe and Jane Normal will never see any of the blemishes and spots we do. They don't care, they'll look at our face when talking with us, or they'll merely say that someone has nice shoes or cute colour on them. We really do have too high hopes for RTW or too much idle time to talk about spots and such on a style forum. I can understand this with bespoke dudes, but it's more humourous with factory-made...
Could one of you refresh my memory again: if Cleverley's RTW pairs are made by EG or C&J, what makes them worth the high markup (apart from the last)?
Here's one more vote in favour of bengal's grand journey into Japanese cordwainery! When can we expect your shuu blog launch? Do give a go to kangaroo leather, it's one of the strongest clean hides available.
books and tweed, you could always change the buttons to horny ones if the coat otherwise fits you and suits your needs. Metal buttons are always a bit showy. Spoo, mehhh...I'm not feeling that dropped, dated breast patch pocket on that true blazer. Those Chipp jackets are The Right Stuff, though.