or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

A thousand?! What the hey? Do you have a link?
ErikW -- there's no point in having a model like that made up. Ralph Lauren has been offering it for many years already.
Well, just as long as it was found on /b/, it was surely worth his time -- warts and all.
Gwarg: you can still see the old ASW through snippets on the Archive.org -site. If the old forwarding code is still in effect, though, you will have to take screen shots before it activates and directs you away from the blog to the store. Such a bore, but RJ stuff can be read through this way...or you could just ask for the original texts from RJman himself.
My shoemaker sent me samples of his piggy skin, but advised against it. When bending the piece to simulate wear and creases, the leather turned ugly and stretched quickly. Likely much depends on the tanner and animal, though I do like to texture.
The Old England II model from Vass Shoes is a golden favourite. I would keep these if I didn't have many pairs already. Fully handmade MTO pair from Hungary, Old England II model, F-last, round toe, cognac colour, rubber toe guards, calfskin uppers and other leather parts oak-bark tanned by Rendenbach. IMG_7595 by Mikael Riiviö, on Flickr Worn less than 25 times and in excellent condition. Tongue pads have been glued under the tongues to improve fit. I'm looking to get...
Let's face it: most crocodile leather shoes are ostentatious or ugly. These are not because the last shape is conservative and the leather has smaller scales, very much like the models on old L. Fellows prints. IMG_7619 by Mikael Riiviö, on Flickr Model name Consul, 100-last, round toe, conservative shape, original leather soles, uppers genuine crocodile. The pair has a new sock guard from Saphir. Heelcups used to have sewn-in leathery heel grips, but they've been...
The only reason I'm selling this swell pair is because I have a bit too many shoes. Something has to go and my loss may just be your gain. IMG_7583 by Mikael Riiviö, on Flickr C&J's model Ashdown, uppers genuine Horween shell cordovan, 341-last, round almondy toe, storm welt, oak bark double leather soles. Worn less than 15 times and in excellent condition. Heel grips have been glued to improve fit. The model retails for 550 pounds these days. I'm asking for 450...
What do you get when you combine vintage mountaineering boots with a smart last and fine calfskin? Have a look at these from Ralph Lauren's Purple Label series. IMG_7609 by Mikael Riiviö, on Flickr Fully handmade in Italy, uppers cafskin with a grey patina bleaching, form-fitting last, Norvegese-welted and -sewn, round toe, metal eyelets, strong rubber sole, red piping on derby edges and straps. These straps can be easily removed if not needed. Size marking 41.5EU, but...
Lattanzis are not often for sale on SF, so this may just be your lucky day. IMG_7564 by Mikael Riiviö, on Flickr Fully handmade in Italy, uppers dark brown and light brown grain calf, has steel toe guards and rubber heels, round toe, form-fitting last, heel grips glued to to heelcups to improve fit. The inner sole had a foam layer that's been scraped off (see pictures). Worn less than 20 times, in fine condition. A similar pair costs several thousand euros in the...