or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

I'll have something snarky to respond to pB in ~9 months and a week. I promise to do my best.
A cap-toe brogue boot made on a contoured last and with a narrow welt. Carmina, for one, has several models.
...come to think of it, do other tanneries besides ILCEA offer patina leathers similar to the museum kind?
Yup, plastic shine for Aldens, all of my other shell pairs have such a nice matte shine that can be left untreated for dullening or buffed for brighter shine. Moisture really destroys some hides with spots while others won't mind. Cordovan leathers are unpredictable and this is a peculiar perk.
I should know more next month, finger's and shoelaces crossed.
While we're at it, I might as well mention that Rosznyai has a few new lasts coming up, a webstore is being planned, and some other surprises may pop up this year. We'll see how things go, but at least there's a new person in charge these days.
Shell cordovan is strong, shiny, easy to maintain, durable, has a mottled colour penetration and it's so different from other hides. That's why I like it, though it's not the best choice for smart and dressy models. Those rolls can run deep and blooming may be rough.
Hotjock, I believe all artisanal makers in Budapest use the same oak-bark stuff from Rendebach as well as Italian calfskins, prices are also similar. It mostly boils down to who has the best-looking or -fitting lasts for your eyes and feet. I wager Vass is the most popular one because they have those nice lasts designed by Ugolini.
I hereby subscribe.
CanadaCal, alrighty, might as well add a shot to my Insta account. We finally have some light up here in Finland after that Northern winter...you Canadians know what I mean.