or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

So much interesting lore in this thread! My thanks to all who found the info and felt it valuable enough to share.
Scott Schuman Has Shot One French Tailor - Photos Inside! Take a guess before you click. http://www.thesartorialist.com/photos/on-the-street-rue-saint-honore-paris-31/
I didn't like the advice forwarded by PTO. The very thing that sets cordovan's look apart from all other leathers is its oily sheen, mostly thanks to the waxes and oils inside, though some makers add an extra finish for near-mirror shine. When we add wax on it, the hide gets a bright shine like calf and the natural shine is covered. All that's left are the wavy rolls, which are nice but the look is gone. The advice says that cream never penetrates the hide's surface, so...
You opining about the above does not make any of these things facts. Please stop. Honestly, its getting embarrassing at this point. Everybody knows pancakes are so last millennium.
I hate nails on the outsole because they're never struck at the very end where I need protection. Brass, metal, or rubber toe guards do the job that I need. I always remove sole nails and have guards attached instead.
...alright, I just found one more shot of Cifo for KL: The cigar shoulders, rounded quarters, DB-vest, lapels, and clean fit are all there. They've been at the top for many decades already.
I've tried Reptan and really hate the smell. It's more expensive than Bick as well, but it's the smell that lingers on indoors and hurts my nose that does it. As for results, it's difficult to say which one is better at moisturising or shining crocogator. I only use Lexol if some leather uppers feel stiff when bent, it's mostly for softening rather than nourishing. Gosh, my small Lexol must have lasted for several years now.
This bit isn't about shoemaking techniques but traditions: why do I see so many British shoemakers with tattoos? Is it an occupational thing, cultural thing, or something else entirely? Mind you, I've poured over shots from Italian factories as well, but tattoos, especially on arms, the-bigger-the-better, are a constant in Brit pics.
Sorry, Zapasman, you have shoes made from lifeless leather. Corrected grain is lifeless, impotent, and plastic-like. If you truly need pub shoes, any pair made from waxed or oiled leather will serve you better. Even shell cordovan will be the horse's ass.
Jazzmenco, welcome to the Lattanzi Owners' Club...but these are not shell. They're made from calfskin. You can tell by the creases, which cordovan doesn't get.