or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

Webbo, that's just wonderful patina. Leave it on and step out in style.
Justsayno: obviously the lasts differ, but both favour oak-bark leather soles from Rendenbach and Italian calfskins. Both are artisanal makers with similar pricing, both and both have exotic hides along with a made-to-measure service. I'd say it's best to visit Hungary and compare in store, though looking at photos of completed pairs online will serve. At the moment I feel the major differences are in the shape and fit of the lasts.
An example pair from the Hungarian handicraftsmen of Buday: made to order brown suede derby on the round Fraknó-last, leather sole, sunken steel toe taps and blue leather lining.Some quick observations:- surprisingly close fit all around- strong heel support- hefty toe taps- staight stitching- piping around the ankle seems to be the House Style- even stitches on the welt- shoe trees fill the pair tightly and have a strong spring [[SPOILER]]
An example pair from the Hungarian handicraftsmen of Buday: made to order brown suede derby on the round Fraknó-last, leather sole, sunken steel toe taps and blue leather lining.Some quick observations:- surprisingly close fit all around- strong heel support- hefty toe taps- staight stitching- piping around the ankle seems to be the House Style- even stitches on the welt- shoe trees fill the pair tightly and have a strong spring [[SPOILER]]
I cannot remember if this tidbit for all shoe nerds has been mentioned yet, but the Norwegian/Norvegese/Goyser stitch is among the finest inventions for making shuus water-resistant. Traditionally the stitches only go through the first leather sole, while the second is glued and nailed to place. Thus, the stitches never touch wet pavement and won't wear at all until the first sole tires, and this first layer can be exchanged until it's worn through.
sd2002, congratulations to the new father! This crocobaby is beautiful from every angle.
That waistband: the American company Oxxford still cuts a waist like this, but theirs is a hybrid. The band is separate on the front and has a Hollywood look at the back.
ˆCongratulations for snatching him!
Welcome to the forum!
Quoted for agreement and right choice of words. The cordwainers handle the make and quality while the owners take the credit.