or Connect

Posts by VRaivio

Usually I do my best to avoid shü trees from makers themselves. Few RTW pairs have shapes that really need special support and most branded trees have high markups. G&G is one of the few exceptions, all of their lasts are just about the most contoured available and all need proper trees to keep those lovely curves.
I haven't seen that sharkish gnarled grain leather from Carmina before. Is this a store special makeup?
After the asola lucida buttonhole, I've always held Truzzi's holes the best-looking. Theirs is a rounded look though the individual stitches are fairly sparse.
...for it!
I'm suggesting that perhaps there is a shoemaker or two still doing their thing in Sicily, making shuus by hand in a similar way as those on the continental side, but charging less for their time. This is why Sleevehead visits Italy time and again: excellent deals for those who don't mind the trouble.
Speaking of prices, have you had a look at Sleevehead's blog? The prices he quotes for bespoke clothes made in Sicily made me smile. If there are shoemakers still working on the isle, Bonafé won't be the best price-quality deal from Italy. Sicily being mafia area, likely artisans there don't pay much in the way of taxes. Only for "protection"...
Looking at the end results, my guess for nutcracker's Mystery Maker is Marquess, Fukuda or Guild of Crafts. The massive work hours explain much of the differences between Japanese and European shoemakers, though time will tell how the precious shapes and details age. Nutty, might you have some photos of well-aged Japanese shoes?
sugarbutch, just add the dork to your block list. I did so over a year ago and haven't missed his posts one bit.
I've typed this before but I'll type it again: I believe the Japanese have overcome their European masters. They make the most beautiful, ornate and highest quality shoes available in our era. Nutcracker could explain us all why -- is it just because they spend more hours making each last and pair than the Europeans?
Meccariello is definitely among the finest Italian shuumakers of our time. Could someone remind me where and under whose tutelage this miracle maker studied?