or Connect

Posts by Pembers

This may be completely the wrong thread, but this doesn't deserve it's own and I can't think where would be better. A man I met today was wearing a very nice suit, the trousers of which had a split of about an inch on each outside seam at the bottom (the trousers were uncuffed). A bit like tracksuit bottoms with the side-zips undone a little bit. I would assume this is something traditional, since the suit looked bespoke (looked Anderson & Sheppard to be precise) and he...
Very helpful - thanks very much.
Chelsea on the 202. Arguably the classic Edward Green shoe. Possible bargain for an SFer with big feet! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supreme-Edward-Green-Chelsea-Oxford-Shoes-12-5-Made-in-England-/130898260007?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1e7a24f027 Also: I'm not sure about this, but does the script on the insole mean that they are Top Drawer?
This is a bizarre statement. If I saw somebody wearing chinos and sockless, I would instantly assume they were American. .Boat shoes are the only shoes I ever wear without socks. Anything else I find uncomfortable and incongruous. Those AAAC trad guys who wear Alden PTBs and no socks are masochists.
So do I, although they're a bit wide for me. I bought a bundle of very similar ties about a year ago, all made by Truzzi.These are from Grenson's old Footmaster range. I have a pair of what could be the exact same boots, and I'd put them on a par with C&J benchgrade: -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111060294380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Honestly, I almost mentioned that. Could be a good way for the Southern gent to subtly signify to those in the know his fidelity to the Lost Cause. Maybe I should put them up for sale on AAAC...Still, I like em a lot too. They fit me, so I'll take them for myself if there's no interest in the next month or so.
OK: They're on B&S. Sorry for the plug. I'll make this a slightly more substantive post by mentioning that I recently found in the attic a pair of 'Austro-Hungarian' boots, from the time when those two nations actually were united, in the dual monarchy. One of my great-great-(etc., not going to count)-grandfathers on my dad's side was a Viennese Jew. An interesting character, who spent some of his life working as a spa doctor in Jerusalem. We have some medals which he...
Since your black shoes are all quite 'substantial', my suggestion would be a more elegant pair of black captoes. If it fits you, perhaps a pair of EG Chelseas on the 202 last?
A rare opportunity to purchase an unworn pair of shoes by Georg Materna of Vienna. They are beautiful, as I hope the photos show. They are in brown box calf, and come with their dustbags, but not their original boxes. They seem to have been in storage for quite a while, but unlike the other pair I have do not seem to be creased as a result. However, they are missing padded heelbeds. I would assume that a decent cobbler could put some in without too much expense. When a...
A rare opportunity to purchase an unworn pair of shoes by Georg Materna of Vienna. They are beautiful, as I hope the photos show. They are in black box calf, and come with their dustbags, but not their original boxes. They seem to have been in storage for quite a while, and there are some creases to the uppers where they have been kept awkwardly. When a load of NOS from this maker were sold in 2010, the price for box calf was 790 Euros (£665). That seller was...