or Connect

Posts by Pembers

So do I, although they're a bit wide for me. I bought a bundle of very similar ties about a year ago, all made by Truzzi.These are from Grenson's old Footmaster range. I have a pair of what could be the exact same boots, and I'd put them on a par with C&J benchgrade: -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111060294380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Honestly, I almost mentioned that. Could be a good way for the Southern gent to subtly signify to those in the know his fidelity to the Lost Cause. Maybe I should put them up for sale on AAAC...Still, I like em a lot too. They fit me, so I'll take them for myself if there's no interest in the next month or so.
OK: They're on B&S. Sorry for the plug. I'll make this a slightly more substantive post by mentioning that I recently found in the attic a pair of 'Austro-Hungarian' boots, from the time when those two nations actually were united, in the dual monarchy. One of my great-great-(etc., not going to count)-grandfathers on my dad's side was a Viennese Jew. An interesting character, who spent some of his life working as a spa doctor in Jerusalem. We have some medals which he...
Since your black shoes are all quite 'substantial', my suggestion would be a more elegant pair of black captoes. If it fits you, perhaps a pair of EG Chelseas on the 202 last?
A rare opportunity to purchase an unworn pair of shoes by Georg Materna of Vienna. They are beautiful, as I hope the photos show. They are in brown box calf, and come with their dustbags, but not their original boxes. They seem to have been in storage for quite a while, but unlike the other pair I have do not seem to be creased as a result. However, they are missing padded heelbeds. I would assume that a decent cobbler could put some in without too much expense. When a...
A rare opportunity to purchase an unworn pair of shoes by Georg Materna of Vienna. They are beautiful, as I hope the photos show. They are in black box calf, and come with their dustbags, but not their original boxes. They seem to have been in storage for quite a while, and there are some creases to the uppers where they have been kept awkwardly. When a load of NOS from this maker were sold in 2010, the price for box calf was 790 Euros (£665). That seller was...
Thanks for your comments. It's good to have confirmation that they're Materna's. I've also had a couple of kind messages from Fritzl. I'll stick them on B&S once I've swotted up on what an appropriate price would be. I love derbies myself, add911, especially on typical central European lasts. Oxfords fit me far better than derbies and I wish the opposite were true. Oh well.
For fans of paisley: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HARDY-AMIES-Silk-Ties-Lot-Bundle-of-4-Various-Paisley-Patterns-BARGAIN-NEW-/121099733034?pt=UK_Ties&hash=item1c321b482a
I think 'laconic' comes from somewhere else.My favourite bit is when - 11 pages into an argument about class and clothes in which there is a sky-high level of assumed knowledge about both the subject at hand and each contributor's background//theories/pathologies - somebody chips in with:These encounters between stupid newcomers and weird veterans are what make this website, IMO.
This thread is an absolute classic: http://www.styleforum.net/t/151036/navy-hopsack-suit