or Connect

Posts by Pembers

Not about clothes, but this is my favourite Wodehouse quote: “Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to speak French.”
Thank you. Much appreciated.
I don't doubt that your brogues are very nice, but Grenson shoes were much, much better in 2005 than they are now. I'd steer clear at the moment. I'm sure their most expensive offerings are made to a decent standard, but they don't offer value for money. Certainly, Tricker's are preferable for the kind of shoes you are talking about.
This may be completely the wrong thread, but this doesn't deserve it's own and I can't think where would be better. A man I met today was wearing a very nice suit, the trousers of which had a split of about an inch on each outside seam at the bottom (the trousers were uncuffed). A bit like tracksuit bottoms with the side-zips undone a little bit. I would assume this is something traditional, since the suit looked bespoke (looked Anderson & Sheppard to be precise) and he...
Very helpful - thanks very much.
Chelsea on the 202. Arguably the classic Edward Green shoe. Possible bargain for an SFer with big feet! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supreme-Edward-Green-Chelsea-Oxford-Shoes-12-5-Made-in-England-/130898260007?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item1e7a24f027 Also: I'm not sure about this, but does the script on the insole mean that they are Top Drawer?
This is a bizarre statement. If I saw somebody wearing chinos and sockless, I would instantly assume they were American. .Boat shoes are the only shoes I ever wear without socks. Anything else I find uncomfortable and incongruous. Those AAAC trad guys who wear Alden PTBs and no socks are masochists.
So do I, although they're a bit wide for me. I bought a bundle of very similar ties about a year ago, all made by Truzzi.These are from Grenson's old Footmaster range. I have a pair of what could be the exact same boots, and I'd put them on a par with C&J benchgrade: -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111060294380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
Honestly, I almost mentioned that. Could be a good way for the Southern gent to subtly signify to those in the know his fidelity to the Lost Cause. Maybe I should put them up for sale on AAAC...Still, I like em a lot too. They fit me, so I'll take them for myself if there's no interest in the next month or so.
OK: They're on B&S. Sorry for the plug. I'll make this a slightly more substantive post by mentioning that I recently found in the attic a pair of 'Austro-Hungarian' boots, from the time when those two nations actually were united, in the dual monarchy. One of my great-great-(etc., not going to count)-grandfathers on my dad's side was a Viennese Jew. An interesting character, who spent some of his life working as a spa doctor in Jerusalem. We have some medals which he...