or Connect

Posts by upnorth

Quote: Originally Posted by cwh812 At my previous job and my current job there is a guy who comes to our office twice a week and shines shoes. They both charge $4 and I always tip 100% - another $4. There are several reasons why I do it - 1. I believe their service is worth more than $4 to me. 2. I do not think it is a pleasant job and I really appreciate there are people out there who do it. 3. They are friendly people and I strike up conversations with...
why you didnt like the burnishing, i don't know. But to pay someone to remove it is beyond me. You should understand that to many cobblers, time is money and they simply would choose the quickest rather than the best way out. It is not that difficult to get rid of the burnishing yourself with just saddle soap or a leather cleaner, even though it may take two tries. It appears that your shoe repair guy not only chose to use a stronger solvent but was spot cleaning it...
I've been brought up to do many things on my own and generally grew up in an environment where people do not expect tips, yet they do their work diligently and are courteous and respectful. When I first came to the States for work, i did not tip many people out of ignorance. On one unforgettable occasion, this shoe shine guy not only insulted me for not tipping, but gave me an earful about how little he was making ~ about $5 per pair. Given that attitude, even if I had...
I am for sure putting my name in for March - August. The earthquake in NZ has hit my interests hard. Just today, a very close relative has asked for a loan in the 5 digit figure. I'm just glad to see my family unharmed but it's been very solemn moment for them and the country.
Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII White leather is a bit of an oddity. The white on the surface is a "paint job" that will have to be stripped. If the white penetrates deeper than the surface...and it usually does...the under-dye is often mineral based. What that means is that nothing can change the interior white to any other colour. Black aniline dye will colour the leather fibers (or some of them) but it won't dye the mineral white base. Adding...
I open this thread thinking it was about some gruesome sports where spectators are randomly thrown into pits against lions or gladiators.
Quote: Originally Posted by abruno Hey there, Just recently joined SF and decided it would be best to post a new thread. Let me start off by saying that during my childhood... I'm sorry, I almost dozed off at this point.
Is this your first pair of shell cordovan shoe? You mentioned that your other shoes have small creases instead of the "ripples" you see in your new shoe. That might be the nature of shell cordovan. You should try out a variety of width and +/- 0.5 sizes and check which one fits you best. You have the benefit of a physical store, why not take advantage of that. For what its worth, I like the barrie last alot and I am in the minority because I personally did not go down...
Maybe the recent EG shoddy work is proof, undeniable, that they are producing for BB.
For black shoes, these really wow me and that's saying something.