or Connect

Posts by Viktri

Quote: Originally Posted by 83glt Why can't we just raise taxes high enough for 1 year to eliminate the date altogether? What would everyone have to pay? I know that cutting taxes is better for the economy over the long term as it creates jobs and economic activity - the proof of that is in the effect of the Bush era cuts we've seen over the last few years ( ). But why wait to fix the problem that needs to be fixed now? Couldn't we raise tax rates high...
quar: I don't disagree with you - I just don't see it humorously like you do. Quote: Originally Posted by sellahi22 Who's blaming "this mythical evil business thing"? No one is blaming Ambrosi for wanting to expand his business, it's just that he's making a mess of it. To some extent it's understandable; these guys are trouser-makers, not businessmen. If they were doing good business making trousers as a father-son team in their Naples workshop, I...
Quote: Originally Posted by quar I enjoy the passive-aggressive exchanges between Foo and NYR. That is all. Really? One guy paid lots of money for pants. These pants are good value and but also expensive. He has no money and no pants. The other guy spouts off about business without knowing anything about business. Skimming his posts hurt my brain. The whole idea that bigger companies necessarily have poor customer service and bigger companies...
Quote: Originally Posted by M. Bardamu I have thought about this question too. My take on an answer: the right to vote is only bestowed after citizens 18 years of age or older have passed a civics/citizenship exam covering the basics of public finance, the Constitution, etc. Unfortunately that might exacerbate the problem. Currently, the system supports the largest bloc of voters. These voters pay less tax compared to high income earners....
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I think you're both missing the point. I'm not defending the estate tax per se. I think its a dumb way to go about what its goals are. I'm just saying that it's not fair to characterize it as a tax on wealth. edit: havent we hashed this out before? I know pennglock and I have. You're saying a tax on wealth (equity, as it doesn't include income) shouldn't be characterized as a tax on wealth? I think I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I mean, you know all of this, but it is not taxed if it is donated to a charity. If it escheats to the state thats not exactly a tax. Regardless, it can't fairly be called a death tax because death is not a sufficient condition to trigger the tax - only the transfer of a certain amount of wealth. Lastly, estate/wealth transfer tax cannot be acurately described as a tax on wealth, in that just being wealthy does...
The Elements of Style is a book that could help improve your writing. Too many people use unfamiliar and sophisticated sounding words incorrectly. Keep communication short but not at the expense of clarity.
Quote: Originally Posted by micbain Employers. I would use career statistics as a measure of employer perception of the program (whether 1 or 2 yrs).
Quote: Originally Posted by ChicagoRon More like .. if you are a widget factory, and widgets are made of wood and steel... It makes more sense for you to buy wood and steel than to operate both a factory and a steel foundry and a logging mill. Now, with vertical supply chain integration, we have learned that it does (sometimes) make sense to to acquire these companies later, but for different reasons and kind of irrelevant to the overall value of...
Quote: Originally Posted by ChicagoRon Read David Riccardo's Theory of Comparative Advantage. It doesn't make sense for everybody to make everything. In an equilibrium state, everybody will do what they do best and trade for everything else. While we have a big gap in technology, we enjoy more wealth than other countries. When everybody is caught up, the whole world is better off, including us... unless you are more concerned with winning than with...