or Connect

Posts by flylot74

OK Guys, here is my premise. Since about the 1960s our sartorial standards have declined significantly. I believe that this is one of many symptoms of our societal decline. Our morals have decayed, our religious beliefs have been called into ridicule, our work ethic has declined. Our standards are not what they used to be. We have lowered ourselves into some kind of abyss where moral relativism rules the day. Consequently, our status in the world has been lowered...
So your speaking for Ringo here? Since when did you become his spokesperson? I understnad Doc's example here. I didn't see it until after I posted. Thier sartorial standards were not up to snuff with those who used to rule them. OK. Point taken. "as if anyone gives a shit" But you should give a shit. That's my point. We all should be focused on our standards. You don't care if the surgeon operating on your kidney chooses a standard that precludes sanitizing his...
Lowering ones standards with clothes is a symptom of a charcater flaw in society. Where does one draw the line? Well, it's OK to dress like a bum.... .....then it's OK to father a child and obsolve themselves of responsibility.... ....well, it's ok to euphanize grandma..... she old and a bother on us..... .....its OK to raise a fetus to farm the stem cells and organs...... This may be a stretch for most of you, but I'm being over the top to get you guys to think about...
You missed the point. I was mocked because I stated I set high standards. It was not directed about sartorial style. I was talking about standards about life: commitment to excellence whether it be sartorial, or educational, philosophical, integrity and ethics. It's about demanding the best of ourselves. You missed my point entirely.... it had nothing to do about clothes.
Dear lad, what fine piece you have there! Coul you provide a closer shot of the checkering? Is the left side lock plate wood or is that engraved metal? Who is the gunmaker? Inquiring minds want to know!
Quote: Originally Posted by Ringo I am trembling. Mockery will get you know where. If you choose you can find and embrace mediocrity. Go on, slouch your way to oblivion for all I care. I for one wish to set high standards, just like our successful forefathers. It was demanding high standards and maintaining those standards that paved our road to excellence. If Washington, Lincoln, or Jefferson had not set high standard, where would we...
Quote: Originally Posted by Brian278 Imposing an antiquated standard It is only antiquated when people accept dress codes as such. I don't see dressing well as an antiquated standard. I see it as good grooming and taste. "often times jeans and a T-shirt is far more appropriate to the activity." Yes, when one is playing softball or baseball a t-shirt and baseball cap is certainly acceptable and functional. However, when a 30 or 40...
If I am jacketless, I wear a belt. otherwise, braces. Braces are far more comforatble. My trousers hang better. There is no comparison. The most gawd awful sight is some guy wearing a belt AND the clip on variety braces exposed (no jacket). I've been tempted (but don't have the stones) to ask the guy WTF?
Don't know of any dealers but I do know of one "sort of" forum: http://forums.watchnet.com/index.php...rm_id=85&rid=0 I didn't realize it until recently, my watch is now considered "vintage" (I guess I'm considered that as well) having bought my Rolex after returning from Southeast Asia, back in 1971.......
Quote: Originally Posted by kali77 Thank you very much for the reply. I am on the more youthful end of the spectrum. I am not a pilot; I am just attracted to the watch for pure aesthetic reasons. On the other hand I don't want to piss away $250. I guess I am trying to decide if I should hold off a couple of months and purchase a decent vintage chronograph for $500-700 or just go ahead and grab this one on the cheap. OK, I think I got it. ...