or Connect

Posts by dah328

Windows RT runs on top of a subset of the core native Windows API (called Win32) that was ported to the ARM platform. By sticking with the core Win32 APIs for WinRT, Microsoft did two things -- 1) ensured a relatively broad overlap between the feature set of Win8 and WinRT and 2) prolonged the lifetime of all the "COM and native crap" that you mention above since those rely on the core Win32 APIs. In other words, apps developed for WinRT ultimately rely on the same set...
It is pretty ridiculous how frequent their ads have become. Using an ad blocker on a rooted or jailbroken phone is the only way to listen to Pandora anymore.
Congrats on the new house. While I generally enjoyed the work I've put into improving my house, I don't think I would be very enthusiastic about moving on to another house and restarting from square one.
I think you mean the Nexus 7. In either case, that article is pretty helpful in its discussion of what software will and will not be initially available on both devices, but his assertion that you restated above that the Surface RT is not a computer like the Surface Pro is overly simplistic and wrong. In any meaningful sense of the word, the Surface RT is a computer. It just does not run the same version of Windows that the Surface Pro does. Obviously, that limits the...
Electricity costs are just as big of a deal where summers are hot. Both NY and NJ electricity prices are horrible.
[[SPOILER]]
I can't believe I'm going to agree with Mouse on something, but +1 to the above. I can't fathom why MS would have chosen in Windows 8 to force together two completely different UI experiences that are suitable for two different classes of devices. The only explanation that makes any sense to me is that they are building familiarity with their near-zero-market-share mobile OS by forcing their huge base of desktop users to use it. It's really too bad because the classic...
Ad Block Plus, people. I don't see how you could stand to use the internets without it.
Mouse, nothing you are saying makes sense. Google is committed to building an open platform which doesn't include the incorporation of technologies that are carrier-specific as LTE currently is. They regretted doing it with the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and chose not to make the same mistake with the Nexus 4. Apple is the complete opposite with a rigidly controlled platform. Obviously they have more sway with the carriers since their handsets sell more units than any...
Nexus 7 16GB prices are dropping to $199 are this Friday when Google releases the 32GB version of the Nexus 7. That makes for a price differential of $130 or 165% between the 16GB models.