or Connect

Posts by dah328

If you're looking at a career in CS, the ROI on a graduate degree in CS is pretty low.
That's true to the degree that both platforms have full JVM implementations with all the Java APIs. WinRT does not have a full Win32 implementation, only enough of Win32 to provide the pieces that WinRT needs for its heavily-sandboxed subset of Win8 functionality.Yes, that's true. It's just that those apps will be limited to the more restricted WinRT APIs.
Yep, that's basically it. Peter Bright has a pretty good (but long) article on it if you want all the gory details.The .NET Micro Framework contains only a subset of the .NET APIs and is almost its own operating system targeted to embedded processors. It shares little in the way of technical infrastructure with the WinRT/Win8 editions of .NET. There's definitely some capability for code sharing in .NET between the Win8 and WinRT platforms, but there are lots of places...
I agree that that's a problem, but there are still an awful lot of 90in90 or less maintenance (rather than repair) tasks on a car that require no diagnosis abilities. E.g., oil changes? They cost way more of my time to take to an oil change place than it takes me to run my car up on ramps and do the job myself. Extra bonus that I don't risk some minimum-wage wrench monkey stripping the drain plug bolt on my car.
For those kinds of "15in15" repairs, it costs more in time to call and schedule a professional to make the repair than to just do it yourself providing you have the ability to turn a screwdriver. That number probably goes up to about 90in90 for car repairs. There's an awful lot of car repairs that fall into that category.
Windows RT runs on top of a subset of the core native Windows API (called Win32) that was ported to the ARM platform. By sticking with the core Win32 APIs for WinRT, Microsoft did two things -- 1) ensured a relatively broad overlap between the feature set of Win8 and WinRT and 2) prolonged the lifetime of all the "COM and native crap" that you mention above since those rely on the core Win32 APIs. In other words, apps developed for WinRT ultimately rely on the same set...
It is pretty ridiculous how frequent their ads have become. Using an ad blocker on a rooted or jailbroken phone is the only way to listen to Pandora anymore.
Congrats on the new house. While I generally enjoyed the work I've put into improving my house, I don't think I would be very enthusiastic about moving on to another house and restarting from square one.
I think you mean the Nexus 7. In either case, that article is pretty helpful in its discussion of what software will and will not be initially available on both devices, but his assertion that you restated above that the Surface RT is not a computer like the Surface Pro is overly simplistic and wrong. In any meaningful sense of the word, the Surface RT is a computer. It just does not run the same version of Windows that the Surface Pro does. Obviously, that limits the...
Electricity costs are just as big of a deal where summers are hot. Both NY and NJ electricity prices are horrible.