or Connect

Posts by Huntsman

Yeah, the only naturally colored one I can find is Tempus Fugits' 'Liquore de Violettes' but it does not work very well in an Aviation to my taste; almost too floral, and the color is a very faint rosy violet. The R&W isn't too terrible; the Bitter Truth looks like a vat of dye, and doesn't taste all that good in any event.  Yeah, Flor de Cana 4 is my second favorite white rum for mixing, after El Dorado 3 -- the demara sugar rums seem to have more character as a white...
Dedicated to Slim; miss you, man.  
I would suggest a Rhum Agricole if you have one for the substitution - provides similar grassy, herbaceous notes as cachaca. I made flights of Petions the other night, using Plantation 6, Appleton VX, El Dorado 3 and Clement VS with the cachaca. The Appleton and and Plantations won, but I did not try subbing out the cachaca. I did find, however, that I preferred the drink a little dryer, with 1:1 rum:cachaca, 3/4 Benedictine and lime, and 3/8+ simple (1:1).
 That's kind of what I am saying. For instance, I collect Sauternes (sort of, I buy it and rarely drink it so I call that collecting), and I have a bottle I am not opening until it is more than 50 years old. But apart from that, as a non-baller I have often felt that the gap between my plebian tipples and good wine is large. But aging some of this more inferior stuff has been eye-opening; it's been showing wonderfully. So I am wondering if I am underestimating the ability...
My late-night cocktail is my version of the Kingston: 1.0 oz Appleton V/X (I imagine many rums would do), 0.5 oz Zaya, 0.75 Campari, 1.0 M&R vermouth, and a half-barspoon of Fernet, stirred over ice. I imagine it would be good with Gran Classico, though I would nix the Fernet in that case as the G-C would provide the menthol. Really a lovely drink.
Serious question. With reds, are we typically committing vinfanticide? I ask as I have, within the last month or two, consumed two bottles of very homely wine that had been languishing in my wine fridges that I have only now consumed in my trip through my stock (since I am not really in a position to lay down wine as I once was). And they were both phenomenal! They sang. The wines were both '06s, one a Frenchy Ch. de. Beauchene 'Grand Reserve' Cotes du Rhone, which I think...
Had to Google Lara Croft, but good for him, though I thought he would stay in Chicago or somsesuch. I wish him well.
Today's work was the Meguiar's #7 polish, the rear wheels, and all the interstitial places: doorsills, the sills around the hatch, the hood, et al. Then the interior with Aerospace 303 and Chambers Leather Milk, followed by Armour-All on my shift and e-brake boots, because, dammit, I like a shiny boot!   I moved the car back to its bay because there is nothing I can do until the Dr. Color Chip comes in -- and after that, I have to wait ten days to seal it. Should have...
 Yes, but we often fetishize the "market" as if it was the great equalizer it purports to be  -- which it isn't, because people are not rational and do not realistically think at the margins. Most any collectible or otherwise specialized "market" will have spikes out of proportion to, shall we say, more objective measures of value, for reasons which are market-driven but which are not necessarily rational. I think that's the point. The ZHP's are rare(ish) and special, but...
My handwriting is either completely awful or beautiful on random days for random reasons. It is always at least legible, which I think is key. If people have a hope of reading what you wrote, I think that a handwritten thank-you will always be the better and more honest option.   I prefer Crane's Kid-Finished in Pearl White. I have been known (LK, where are you?) to write with a dip pen and seal my letters with wax. But, most of the time I write with a ballpoint like a...