or Connect

Posts by Huntsman

I love it the JW Black, and usually have a handle around -- it was my first scotch, and one I still commonly reach for, as it does everything a blend should do, i.e., give me an amalgam of the various notes of whisky that I like, without forcing me to choose a particular style. And Black's amalgam is of the styles I like best. I also do use it in cocktails most of the time (demurring only for Pennicilin or when no smoke is called for -- then I pour Cutty Sark or Grouse)....
 Dood, I do believe that you have the cocktail-foo, but I'm certainly not further than on the fence with this one. Funny, my father uses the reamer because he (claims to be) lazy about it. Curious about the results of your test. ~ H
 Sorry to say that my knowledge of good cognac does not extend to cognac not exported to the U.S.   Exactly with you. Yes, the oil is not generally as bitter as the compounds in the pith -- which is why twists are generally made with no pith or as little as possible. I've never really had an issue with citrus presses making the juice more bitter by tearing the pith (it usually doesn't tear anyway), but the improvement in flavor by expressing the oil into the cocktail is...
Being on a squad with solid shooters is a wonderful thing - they don't have to be the best shooters, they just have to understand that rhythm is important -- and that is part of the consistency that is key to the shotgun sports.   In the shotgun sports I am mainly a trapshooter (having shot over 20k rounds, which is something like a ATA Registered shooter takes down every few years) but I do enjoy shooting Sporting Clays for fun, not seriously (the only range is too far...
For indesertum:   The Art Deco   1.5 oz Gin 0.75 oz Lillet Blanc 0.75 oz Orgeat 0.75 oz Lemon Juice Dash pastis or absinthe.   Shake hard and double strain into a cocktail glass.   Ratio of orgeat may need adjusting based on the profile of your orgeat.   ~ H
 Tried it with Luxardo Bitter in place of Gran Classico (it has a hair less menthol) was not really a fan, but oh, well. The Negroni really needs more variants -- I love a Sloe Gin version, and it does seem like a peaty scotch should be next. I make a Negroni variant with Mezcal called the Midnight at La Esquina -- 1.5 Mezcal (Del Maguey Vida):1.o Cocchi Americano:0.5 Campari. Lovely.     The problem is that your bottle of 'real' lime juice may have been real for a little...
The interesting thing is that your score is not very far from their score. The shotgun sports are consistency games. I'm not the hugest skeet fan (born to a trapshooter, thus born a trapshooter) but when I am shooting with really good shooters and struggling for my 23s and 24s, they are running round after round of 25 straight and pulling down 100 straight easier than I hit a 25. Humbling.   ~ H
 Yes, it is the best of the several I've tried now, though for some reason I keep wanting to try them.  Yes. You should make my cocktail called the Art Deco. It is gin, lemon juice, Cointreau and Lillet blanc. Will post recipe tomorrow when I get home. Creamy and opaque is how it will be if you make your own orgeat -- fake stuff like the Fee Bros crap or almond "syrup" will make the clear drinks. ~ H
 Pennicilin is the bomb. I really love it with Glenmorangie Nadurra (just the regular) with the float of Caol Ila.  I would love to even see a Seville Orange. Likewise, for me, all the orange juice cocktails are complete flops.   There is also the incredible Smoke and Chartreuse. It's not my cocktail, but I have changed it so radically from the original that this recipe is. 1.25 oz. Yellow Chartreuse0.75 oz Dolin Dry Vermouth1.0 oz Dolin Blanc Vermouth (do not substitute...
More info on the Mortlach offering:   http://www.just-drinks.com/news/diageo-sets-mortlach-prices-locations_id113018.aspx   http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2014/03/diageo-unveils-new-mortlach-bottle-design/   ~ H