or Connect

Posts by HRHAndrew

Quote: Just had a quick question about this debate about tax cuts. I always hear the argument that Regan's tax cuts stimulated the economy to the extent that it brought in more revenue than before. But, that the reason the defecits balloned was due to the increased spending, both military by Regan and the social programs by the democrats. If spending had been keep constant, then the defecit would actually have decreased. Thus, if you want to decrease defecit,...
Quote: HRHAndrew, so what are you? At times you seem like a republican defending Bush and claiming a liberal media bias, and other times you seem like a democrat defending Clinton.  I am trying to figure out your angle.  So where do you fit? Well, as I have been saying I do not think it really matters. FCS and I have been having a friendly argument on deficits and tax cuts, but we actually agree for the most part. Why I think it doesn't matter what...
I will have to keep this short, as I have to get to bed.  It also probably putting more people to sleep.  I think we will just have to agree to disagree.   But want to make a few points: Quote: And as I argued previously, I think the American public is intellegent enough to see the difference. I have never heard a convincing argument that deficits are bad for the short term economy.  Also, the the federal deficit is so huge, several trillion...
Don't worry Dan, I get that often. If our political parties are one thing, they are good marketers. Most Americans have a particular marketed ideology so engrained in their systems that they no longer look at reason. For example, the 8 year witch hunt that the conservatives had on Clinton. Didn't matter what he did, they would find something wrong with it. Ironically he was a very conservative on fiscal and foreign policy issues, but the right could never get past the fact...
Quote: Ok, I'm hoping that the American voters are smarter than that. While people can overlook cyclical budget deficits, persistent deficits could and did make voters nervous. And there are many instances that suggest that voters are smart enough to smell short-term bribes. While I can't really quote a clear-cut example in recent American events (although the California recall election could be one), the previous Conservative government here in Ontario got...
Quote: The Bush tax cut is primarily ideologically-driven and was not intended as a fiscal stimulus, despite what the President said. First he claimed that that budget surplus under Clinton was too large and thus the American public could afford such a large tax cut. Well, that was not true as the surplus quickly turned into a big deficit. Ok, but how is a deficit bad for the short term economy? Quote: Crude oil prices per barrel have been...
Boy, am I glad that I missed that one. Steve, can you just delete all these Kalra threads? I am annoyed with myself that I even posted in them. And this will be my last one.
Yep, I did get them. I am not sure how close they will be in color to the Roseberry's I just got. I hope they are a bit darker and that I will be able to use them.
Quote: I don't think he has one. Plus he thinks Saddam Hussein is the greatest man alive... Steve, where did that come from? Sounds like you are getting annoyed with these threads.
Quote: I would like to actually see some concrete statistics, information, and what not about the state of our economy, because to be honest, I hear the exact opposite things from different people. Well, that is the great thing about statistics. People can interpret them in many ways.  I look at four main things: 1)Jobs - Currently there is a total job loss under Bush of 1.6 million.  That number has been dropping significantly in the last 3...