or Connect

Posts by HitMan009

Quote: Originally Posted by HORNS I really don't see what the big deal is with micro serrations in the blade. I've been under the impression, for years now - from many sources that I've read and been told, that these serrations improved the cutting ability of the knife. Not only that, but using a steel that has striations in it has allowed me to maintain these serrations in my own knives and has resulted in very sharp and effective knives for...
If you have knives made with a very hard metal, using a steel is pointless because it is very unlikely that the metal at the blade would have curled like on an average german knife which is made of softer metal. Getting a ceramic rod is better but that will take a bit of metal off the blade and cause larger micro serations. If you were a knife freak, getting a glass rod would an ideal solution. Here is my take. If you use waterstones, using a ceramic steel or any...
It needs a better transit system.
There is a fantastic post on egullet on knife sharpening.
Charles, How much does Chipp charge these days for CMT?
First off, silk is way more expensive then bemberg. Bemberg is is a synthetic cloth made from a part of the cotton plant if I recall so it's natural in some sense. Bemberg is lighter and stronger then silk which makes no sense to me because I always learned that silk is the strongest natural fiber known to man but I think that is the silk of a spider, not of the silkworm. Berberg I believe is the better material for lining because, it's stronger, lighter and cheaper...
I thought the belly was the edge of the lapel and whether it curves a little or whether it is a straight line.
Quote: Originally Posted by why This point shouldn't even have to be discussed. Anyone who's regularly used a well-made knife knows the difference between a $15 knife and a $100 knife. It's not a matter of price that affects the cutting quality, it's the actual edge of the knife that's the difference. Better knives need less sharpening and cut much smoother and easier. Chop a couple mirepoix with each and the difference is obvious even to outside...
I would say that after a certain price point and/or level of quality of the knife, the issue become a moot point. I been using a Dexter Russell chinese cleaver for as long as I can remember. I use it for almost all my cutting and chopping needs. Recently I purchased some fantastic natural waterstones on ebay and have made this knife razor sharp. You can find the stainless steel version for about $30 bucks. I also been using a cheap chef's knife that probably cost less...
Hey everyone, I am commissioning an overcoat soon. While I have a good idea what I want in regards to the overcoat, I am also having a removable vest lining made for it as well. I would like some ideas on the design of the vest along with options on how to attach the vest to the overcoat. I think it would be interesting if the vest could be worn by itself as well. Please provide me some great opinons. Thanks everyone!