or Connect

Posts by HitMan009

Quote: Originally Posted by Dmax I mostly agree with you but very few people finish their edges to finer than 1000 grit equivalent and for everyone else a ceramic rod makes for an improvement over the standard "medium" grooved steel. Yes, a true statement! But if anyone is to invest in a japanese knife, one should definitely consider learning some sharpening skills. I tell you, there is such a calming quality to sharpening a knife. I find...
I would avoid aluminum pans. Even though there was science floating around saying excess aluminum causes Alzheimer's disease that was been disproven, I would say that since it's a mineral that our body doesn't need, it's best to avoid using it. I usually think Mark Bittman is great since he's the everyday man's cook however there is some cynicism on what he's proselytizing. His forget the masses, I am right works for certain things but not this. Home is not a...
I recommend this for that little knife freak in all of us. Hone the blade to a mirror shine with a high grit count waterstone. Then 0.5-1" down from the tip of the knife, run a ceramic steel for 1-1.5 inches to create bigger micro serrations. (This is meant for standard 8" gyutos). That will give you a very useful and pratical blade. I mean you can go even fancier with different angles at different parts of the knife but that's going crazy!
Quote: Originally Posted by HORNS I really don't see what the big deal is with micro serrations in the blade. I've been under the impression, for years now - from many sources that I've read and been told, that these serrations improved the cutting ability of the knife. Not only that, but using a steel that has striations in it has allowed me to maintain these serrations in my own knives and has resulted in very sharp and effective knives for...
If you have knives made with a very hard metal, using a steel is pointless because it is very unlikely that the metal at the blade would have curled like on an average german knife which is made of softer metal. Getting a ceramic rod is better but that will take a bit of metal off the blade and cause larger micro serations. If you were a knife freak, getting a glass rod would an ideal solution. Here is my take. If you use waterstones, using a ceramic steel or any...
It needs a better transit system.
There is a fantastic post on egullet on knife sharpening.
Charles, How much does Chipp charge these days for CMT?
First off, silk is way more expensive then bemberg. Bemberg is is a synthetic cloth made from a part of the cotton plant if I recall so it's natural in some sense. Bemberg is lighter and stronger then silk which makes no sense to me because I always learned that silk is the strongest natural fiber known to man but I think that is the silk of a spider, not of the silkworm. Berberg I believe is the better material for lining because, it's stronger, lighter and cheaper...
I thought the belly was the edge of the lapel and whether it curves a little or whether it is a straight line.