or Connect

Posts by HitMan009

From the picture of the cut steak, it appears you cut it too early. Just give it a few minutes more. As it it being an entrecôte, it appears to be the tail end of the where here in the US is called a rib-eye. Nothing beats a rib-eye!
Any damn place that celebrates the fact they serve charred meat is not a place any person with a palate should go to. Any place that brags they use 1000 degrees F to sear their steaks should themselves be burned down in 1000 degrees F. Peter Luger by being so unpretentious is well basically being pretentious.
Quote: Originally Posted by foodguy that's my take on it exactly. but that last begs the question of what the most common types of cutting are in the cuisine. In my experience, Japanese food is much more about fewer cuts more precisely made, while most Western cuisines make more use of chopping, etc. In any case, it's really important to pick up a knife and at least go through the motions of the chores you will most frequently use it...
I find santokus to be a feminine knife. The chef knife/gyutos have a nice curve to blade so slicing is easier and can support a rocking motion. A santoku has a flatter curve so think it's better for a push cut and slicing. Since it's shorter, it can be more managable for most people. Whatever my viewpoints are, a santoku is traditionally an all-purpose knife so who is one to argue it's merits. It was the japanese version of a chef's knife
Quote: Originally Posted by Trompe le Monde Ruth's Chris uses an 1800* salamander and the steaks come out awesome. No, burnt meat is not favor, it's carbon! Heat above 300 and below 500 creates the Maillard reaction, which is the combining of sugar and protein molecules. That is favor. I am so tired of people not understanding how to cook a steak properly.
Where are you located?
Quote: Originally Posted by SField Well basting with butter in a pan isn't exactly a recipe as much as it's common sense. Butter makes everything better!
Quote: Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger Ercoles in Brooklyn does CTM...but the house fabrics he keeps in store are not much more How much does Ercoles charge? I have read he is probably the best price/quality ratio in the city. What does other forum members think?
Quote: Originally Posted by TGPlastic Consider too that your iron skillet is very porous. It actually holds oil and other particles from previouly cooked dishes. That's why you don't wash it with soap. You wanna preserve that naturally built nonstick/flavor surface. Now it's doubtful that the iron pan will impart any flavor to something as big as beef. Save that pan for your eggs or maybe some chicken. Use a non nonstick pan for cooking your...
Quote: Originally Posted by GrillinFool And as bad as the damage seems it could be worse. Had a Halloween party at my place and someone accidentally tossed my Shun Santoku in the trash. Gone. My fave knife of my 5 shuns.. WTF? Find that person and de-friend on Facebook NOW!!!!!