or Connect

Posts by jonc

Do a search for Pinnas and Needles. I think someone not too long ago posted their name and said they seemed to know what they were doing.
This may sound crazy, but will the bar go through the eyelets without removing the ends? The ends may not come off, but be meant to slip through the eyelets, much like a button.
Well I received my RE aviators in the post the other day, and I couldn't be happier with them. They seem to be quite sturdy, I'm getting use to the bayonet temples, and I'm impressed with the little maintenance kit you get. I can post some pictures of what comes in the box if anyone's interested, it comes with a hard case, lens wiper/cloth thing, and the little kit has 4 replacement screws, 2 nose bridge pieces and a little tool that is on a keyring and unscrews to reveal...
MTM stands for made-to-measure. It's where a tailor/cutter takes a standard pattern along with some measurements of your body to come up with a shirt that should fit you much better than standard OTR (Off-the-rack, AKA RTW, Ready-to-wear) shirts. They are more expensive and take longer than buying a OTR shirt, but will fit a lot better.
I spent a while on google sifting through the various uk online stores for aviators with skull temples and noticed that this one has actual shops associated with it. They don't have a huge amount of stock, but I could at least try a couple on for size. Popped in again today to check sizings, I think the smallest one is fine for me (my temple measurement is around 127/130).Ended up ordering a pair of aviators in 52mm, matt chrome + grey from mandon store. Can't wait until...
OK, so I found a UK bricks and mortar retailer that stocks RE (a shop called IRIS with branches near London Bridge and in Richmond). I tried on a pair of 52s and 58s, they didn't have any 55s in stock (most popular model apparently). I'm still not sure about sizing though, my temple width is just under 130mm but my head size is nearer 59cm, which gives me conflicting advice from here: http://www.themandonstore.com/product/228/product-details.html Also, both of the 52mm...
Are there any UK based retailers (online or otherwise) that carry the aviators with a skull temple?
I think lots of people here will say "meh, fused", "meh, cheap" etc. But obviously not everyone can spend a huge amount on clothes, and may have different priorities. I've got a couple of Hugo Boss suits and I like them. They fit me quite well OTR, and I use them as work suits. I'm under no illusion that they are great suits (as I bought them since visiting starting to visit here), but I think they are fine as normal "I understand it's not going to last forever" suits. At...
I think there's a few Londoners here. Would be nice to meet up with some like-minded SFers, and also draw on their local knowledge. I think this is a great idea as it will allow people to recommend suppliers/tailors etc that will be applicable to the area that may not get discussed as often in the context of general advice. As well as thrift-tips, local eccentricities and pointers that we can use to raise our game.
Well I popped into Stephan's shirts once more (I phoned ahead to ensure Erland was in) and I've got a couple of shirts on order, very exciting (as I told Erland, my first dip into MTM). As I arrived he was attending to another client. and it was apparent that he knew what he was talking about. It was a two-way conversation between him and the client, to get everything as desired. While some people have said that the range of cloths was small, the £79 range was limited...