or Connect

Posts by antikantian

Hi all, I thought I'd use the collective Styleforum brain, since I'm having trouble finding a particular pair of boots. Specifically, I am looking for a pair similar to these for horse riding, to be used with riding breeches and half-chaps: Those are from E. Vogel. I want to find a similar pair that has a toe cap and medallion tip. I was planning on going to Vogel to get fitted for a pair of field boots when I am in NYC, and I'll perhaps order a pair of paddock boots...
Quick question for Kent: how's the pattern matching on the glen plaids, windowpanes, etc?
I was thinking about this a while ago. I believe that EG's standard is UK E. Most of my orders are placed directly through EG on Jermyn St, but I did buy a pair at Saks in NYC once. When shopping there, it surprised me that Saks seems to stock mostly D widths. When I bought my first pair via e-mail order, I had a back and forth with the EG sales manager, and he suggested that if I wanted a snug fitting shoe that would conform and stretch a little over time, I go with a...
I saw these Lobb's on the 'bay. Thank God they are not my size. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-John-Lobb-Mens-English-Handmade-Crocodile-Skin-Shoes-Size-UK-7-RRP-8000-/300724554694?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item4604948bc6#ht_708wt_1170
Sorry if this has been discussed in this thread, but I couldn't find the answer with a search. Can someone comment on Ercole's pricing for suits and sport coats in decent fabrics? I've been meaning to make the trek out to Brooklyn after hearing a lot of good things about Ercoles over the years (and seeing a lot of NYR's fits).
My casual attire depends on where I am geographically. I'm originally from Manhattan, and typically my casual wear there consists of sport coat, shirt, ps, and usually a tie. Now, in North Carolina, the population of which consists mostly of young urban professionals, I wear pretty much the same thing minus the tie, and it doesn't really seem out of place. It doesn't sound like you're over-dressing so much as your friends are just radically underdressed. This may sound...
I've only used two shirtmakers, so I can only offer comments based on my limited experience. I was using Mel Gambert (I think they are based on NJ, and I also believe that their shirts are produced in-house. I can't comment on if this is truly bespoke with individual patterns, but their customizations seemed fairly extensive). The quality and fit of the Gambert shirts was pretty good, but their turn-around time was atrocious. I'm now using Turnbull & Asser, and I do...
I've done a few forum searches and Google queries, but I've come up short and/or found websites where it was hard to gauge the quality. The one option that looked promising is Roger Ximenez (http://rogerximenez.com/). Does anyone know of any other good sites where I can order some custom or bespoke belts? There is only one men's shop near me that offers bespoke belts, but after a few disappointing custom garments, I'm hesitant to give them any more money. I have a 28...
I was recently at a wedding and wore pretty much the same combo, save for a navy tie with white polka dots. Maybe it wasn't the best choice, but I wore a pair of dark oak double monks. It was a morning wedding in West Palm Beach, and it was more on the casual side. Maybe for an evening wedding I would have gone with black shoes. I thought about bright socks, but it was an orthodox Jewish ceremony, so I decided to go more conservative. I didn't want to offend the...
I thought this was slightly humorous. The last two times I did a MTO from EG, I e-mailed them two weeks after the quoted lead time to inquire about the status. I received these replies one or two days later: "Your shoes arrived into the store this morning and will be shipped this afternoon, you must of sensed something!" "That's spooky! They arrived in our store this morning and we hope to send them out to you later this afternoon." I'm beginning to think they just...