or Connect

Posts by Master-Classter

I'm a little new to this personal finance thing so in the span of two years have gone from holding cash in a TFSA to GIC's to RBC MF's and now just opened a Questrade account and will be shifting over my RRSP (like your 401K?) and TFSA (I think that's like your Roth?) to invest in some bonds and equities (ETF's). So feeling pretty good about getting a handle on this stuff for the first time.I know you guys are usually posting about individual stocks but with a small chunk...
yeah, like I said pretty new at this stuff . Huh, I could have sworn Grouse was a major component of something or other. Or rather, isn't Walker a blend of other scotchs? maybe I've got to go way back to school on this hobby...your advice re: classics makes total sense. Because there's so little liquid, proportions are pretty important. I'm used to cooking where a dash of this or that is usually ok to experiment with. Re: Alexander, maybe I'm still off but in my mind the...
So finally cracked open a few much anticipated bottles last night. First, Bookers. Wow wow wee wow were you guys ever right about this. Now this is bourbon! I took it neat with small sips. Got an immediate whole mouth hot caramel swirl. My mouth just lit up with warmth. Smooth to drink and besides a little tongue numbing, no sharp kick after swallowing. It was just a taste before heading out but I'm really happy this one's in the collection and looking forward to drinking...
So if I'm not mistaken, Grouse makes up a fair portion of Walker. With that in mind, I've tried Famous Grouse and found it meh, not particularly bad, but nothing overly interesting either. Then there's Black Grouse, which I guess is their darker richer older version. I recently picked up a limited edition bottle called Black Grouse Alpha, on sale locally for $35 at which price I figured it was worth a shot. I found is surprisingly and easy drinker. Now I can't compare it...
yeah those are pretty much my two sources as well. There's a huge YouTube community and blog list but honestly most of my time is at Basenotes. I find Basenotes a little snooty and stuffy and the mods are too active, but overall the opinions are more informed and reviews are generally more academic. There is quite a bit of bias towards niche though, so IMO Fragrantica adds more female and mainstream scent options to the mix. yesterday's scent was Boucheron's Jaipur...
bump for a good thread
first one of the summer. damn it feels good. and yes, I've already got some Hendricks and will be buying some Fevertree soon enough...
Yeah I had that Belvenie 21 Port a couple of times. Great nose, pretty good taste. It's a little pricey for me at my stage so a pass in that sense, and also maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, but I see there's a lot of great Scotch at the $60-80 range and some interesting stuff around the $100-120 range, but after that $150+ sort of point, it's more about unusual bottlings, or rare things, etc and often diminishing returns. Sure there's some amazing stuff, but I...
enjoy the Lavender Palm Jman! (btw I just got about 600ml of it... so if anyone wants a 50ml decant let me know). SOTD is an oldie but goodie... Dali Pour Homme. This stuff is really something strange and special. It's a dry dense tobacco scent with a lot of spices. Sort of like Serge Noir or Chergui with thunderclouds and dirt. It's dirty, dank, and rich. Reminds me of a dark cellar with old barrels and cigars etc. It's truly gothic and not in a dandy sort of way. This...
I've got about 5 samples from the line I'm working through. Did the vetiver which was good, but I'll need to retest before final verdict. I suspect it'll be like the amber, very good and well rounded but a little boring. The Oud I have actually tried and did comment on a few days ago. Excellent. Took a whole day to open up and it was so smooth and covered all the angles. Really excellent. Pricey though, but IMO well worth trying for a very wearable take on the note.