or Connect

Posts by Amelorn

I suppose I should be glad that my remarks eventually had their intended effect: amusement.
Urgh. Don't you love these people? One tries to make a simple, somewhat humorous remark and the "rectitude brigade" is up your ass correcting the detail. It's somewhat like the "Lisa Simpson" sort of schoolchild correcting a teacher on a pointillistic detail or utterly missing the point. Of course, as often happens all too often on this forum, the discussion crosses from mere pedantry to derision and character assassination. Any idiot who meanders even a basic...
Consider this: By the law of averages, half the population is stupid. That is, they have an IQ of less than 100. That begs the question of why "we" as a country pay these people enough or lend them sufficient credit to afford Apple products.
It was 4am here at the time of writing, and my energy for superior composition was spent earlier in the day on an essay in geopolitics. Further, knowing what an SF thread can degenerate into, why waste my time to compose a message in the overwrought style so beloved of the British? I used to type forum messages in the same formal English I'd write correspondence (I do have the odd occasion to handwrite a letter) or academic work with. However, developing a reputation...
I was kicking about the archives of a forum called flyertalk, where frequent flyer program and airline business enthusiasts congregate. I fall into the latter category as it's really quite an interesting industry. I had come across an interesting discussion on dress in premium cabins, that is J/business and F/first. Both sides were championed by guys in their early to mid twenties, so at 22, I was interested in the diverging opinions of my demographic. One argued for...
I wonder about an assertion such as 15-20 IQ points higher, if one understands IQ as innate, raw intelligence rather than educational attainment. However, the Flynn effect throws a wrench in that idea.As for the distracted American, I can certainly agree with that. Men and women are now in the workplace longer than ever, new toys and infotainment constantly emerge on the market promising happiness in exchange for $$$ and time (OMG! Ipad 3!), and my personal favorite: we...
I agree with this. Your name evidently was not idly chosen, it seems.Libya and Syria are interesting cases. Syria has defied the West and currently there seems to be no urge to assault Syria from the West. Libya had acquiesced to the West in the last few years, especially, and the regime was toppled.I am rather wary of the Arab spring myself. In Egypt, Islamism really rules, if the recent Parliamentary vote were any indications. Islamist government seldom enjoys...
Good, and its brother, evil: perhaps the two most annoying words in our language. (And probably quite troublesome in the realm of philosophy)
Racial pride holidays (for any, really) cherry-pick the best, which is as incomplete as your cherry-picking of the worst.
In part, I blame the state system and the sheer size of the US. Finland's education is directed from Helsinki over 5.4 million. The US education system is loosely directed out of 50 state capitals and DC over myriad school districts. In Nassau County, New York, there are over 50 school districts, each being run as a fiefdom by its administrators.This is a very un-American ideal, but I am am pro-centralization with regards to schooling. To begin making headway, a...