or Connect

Posts by Amelorn

Quote: Originally Posted by SField You embody part of what is so wrong with humanity. In prep school, people like you were very easy to pick out. Good god. Normally I'd agree with you, but unless I am in private with a handful of close friends, I play the observer and the diplomat rather than the judge, critic, and and righteous snob. You don't get the data (aka juicy story) from someone when you speak the mind's (often unpleasant) truth.
2-5 are quite common to some degree at many (if not all) private schools. All parents implicitly demand better college acceptance rates and larger scholarship payouts. Parents are buying a "golden ticket" more than an education. Of course, special...exemptions exist for likeable athletes and high donors.
Quote: Originally Posted by HEARTLESS-531 Amelorn, I just got back from a whirlwind tour of 4 prep schools with my daughter, a wedding, and conference in the States (I live in Europe). What is up with that St. Andrews college? All of the prep schools we visited send graduates there. Pardon my ignorance, but most people are familiar with the usual graduate school stand outs - LSE, INSEAD, Sorbonne, etc. Just didn't realize there is a top-tier...
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS Lauren Hutton: When Revlon offered me a million dollars it was real money. It wasn't lower middle class like it is today. I'd be amazed if someone lower middle class (college educated, but a poorly remunerative position such as social worker or rural teacher) possessed $1 million in liquid assets.
I went to a Catholic prep school (Chaminade). Our more famous alumni include Bill O'Reilley, and Senator Al D'Amato (crook). My university (St Andrews, UK) is a haven for NE boarding schoolers. A prep schooler is easy to pick out. They had boat shoes, loafers, and khakis before preppy recently became cool again. We prefer better beer or more likely, spirits. Further, we're motivated on something: high finance, international politics, technology etc. They're an...
Quote: Originally Posted by thenanyu Nice strawman. This is the most hilariously disingenuous groupspeak on SF. My EGs are more comfortable than some terribad junk from Macy's, but my Adidas basketball shoes ($130) are *much* more comfortable than either of those. Seriously guys. Fine shoes are not more comfortable than athletic shoes. Suits are not more comfortable than t-shirts and hoodies. Leave that MC shit in MC. Strawman? Not...
Quote: Originally Posted by austinite So presumably you are comparing $400 dress shoes to $55 running shoes? I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds. They may not be the absolute nicest shoes around, and perhaps you have better ones, but I generally like my shoes. I'd still easily prefer my New Balance running shoes if the only thing that matters is comfort. I think if your argument is "my shoes aren't nice enough" you are kind of missing the point and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Desi other than the huge market and design in sneakers sure. Now I may not like a lot of them but there are tons of different designs, shapes, and models. Except most sneakers available to Joe Average's income are more or less variants on the same shoe. Oh sure, a designer name brings lots of $$$ into the equation, but one wonders at the cost-benefit there.
Quote: Originally Posted by ManofKent Yes in the UK Ralph Lauren is pretty pricey and still pretty sort after. Gap does okay but has been in decline, Banana Republic is seen as more sort after than Gap (and there are fewer stores). Hilfiger has a modest prescence and certainly isn't despised. Levi's are costly - well around the same price as Nudie... We have our own crap but trendy brands too - anyone seen Jack Wills I'm not bothered by Jack...
I've been very disappointed with the quality of Florsheim suede, as well as their standard leather (which feels as if it were shellacked). The limited line may be *somewhat* better, although, if I had $112 to spend, I'd find a pair of Cole Haans or cobble together another $40-60 for Donald Pliner or To Boot on sale/at an outlet store.