or Connect

Posts by Amelorn

Quote: Originally Posted by franz_sanchez Are you talking about TJ Maxx or Marshall's which is part of the same company? Is there a big difference between the clothing sold at TJ Maxx and Marshall's? We have a Marshall's and they don't seem to carry much higher end stuff anymore. They used to carry suits but now only seem to have a few sport coats. Usually they would have cheaper suits like you find Macy's and then they would have same higher end stuff...
Each forum is different, but for me, valuable. I'm more of an MC person, as my knowledge finds more engagement here. How many own, know the history of, and used their opera hat? My taste in general is more situated here (suits, cufflinks, overcoats, khakis, blazers/jackets, polos, loafers, oxfords, topsiders). Both MC and SW&D give the wearer social capital in varying degrees. Exclusive reliance on my MC wardrobe would ingratiate me with one group and indict me as...
Quote: Originally Posted by Saturdays Saddest thing I've ever experienced is a friend of mine came up to me at a wedding and was showing off his Lauren by Ralph Lauren suit, which he called his Polo suit. He was told me," I got it Macy's for like $100." I then proceeded to explain to him about the error in his statement to him saying "No, no it is the same, I bought it from Macy's its not like I got it from TJ Maxx or something." And that is the reason...
This is a recent purchase, but as it's a jacket, I'll post it here. It's label is CPT by Cockpit (Diffusion line of Cockpit jackets is my best guess). It's a chocolate brown bomber with the gentlest distressing. The original price (at Saks Off 5th) was $599.99 as printed. THis I take with some salt, though it could be valid. The first orange sticker was for $380. The second was for $192.70. I got it for 50% off of the last ticketed, for a final price of $95....
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackhood They used to be a warehouse selling off the dregs of fashion brands. Now they are an international distribution stream selling millions of units at barely reduced prices. At some point the brands were going to notice that their shit was being sold off as "bargain" and it hurts the brand more than it helps clear stock. This is my problem with shops that attempt to be online versions of Filene's...
Quote: Originally Posted by Saigonesque H&M's suit jackets and shirts are pretty terrible quality, but they have the most comfortable boxer briefs I have ever worn. A bit pricey at 3 for $18, though. Basically, only go there to protect your junk and get accessories. $6 for a pair of underwear is nothing.
From my campus in the UK: American friends: ~The whatever fits crowd(1). Battered sneakers, jeans, sweatpants, and T-shirts. For some reason, they let the waistband of their Hanes boxer-briefs or generic boxers show. Nothing to show off, really. ~The somewhat nicer crowd(2): Better, newer, and trendier sneakers. Jeans in more recent fits and washes. Maybe a PRL belt. Calvin klein BB's. ~Better yet(3). In jeans, a variety of shoes (desert boots, oxfords), colorful...
Quote: Originally Posted by Another New Yorker Amelorn, you have quite a bit more observing and reading to do if you aim to emulate America's so-called "social upper crust." The younger portion of that body is taught to never flaunt money, prefers final clubs, eating clubs, and fraternities to British universities, and drinks natty light over nicer beers. I observe more for my own interest than to become a die-cast copy of that particular...
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS There are people for whom sales mean nothing. But they probably aren't shopping at AF and JC. Why shop when one can rob Grandfather's old wardrobe? Where else can one find a grosgrain opera hat? Quote: If you're paying retail for anything then you suck at sales. It's my one commandment of shopping, with the sub-commandment of "unless the quality/fit should exceed what's on sale."
Quote: Originally Posted by SField I don't think you realize just how obvious and transparent the intentions of social climbers are. The amount of thought that you've put into it, made evident by several of your posts here, is alarming and in some ways tragic. I hope you don't expose your children to that level of cynicism. In my case, I never sought to hide them. I do not conceal my goals and aspirations from friends or family. My father is a...