or Connect

Posts by Amelorn

Why day-trading? That eats young guys alive. I blew through money doing that when I was 18. I migrated to short-term trading now at 21. I put some money into a stock with short-term price appreciation/growth potential, hold it for a week/10 days, sell, and pocket some profit. You don't get rich, but you get money for Hoegaarden and new shoes (Or Veuve Cliqcuot and no shoes...but this is SF).
Quote: Originally Posted by meister The Strand and the McAllister and even the Cambridge is a great looking shoe. Nice color, good construction, but boring.
Oh boy. My home territory is LI, NY. Despite being adjacent to NYC, people still don't care: poorly sized T-shirts, uninventive denim/shorts, and filthy sneakers. College did it for me. Button down shirts paired with sweaters (cotton or cashmere depending on your cash and shopping skill), blazers, scarves, myriad trousers, and shoes...my god the shoes. Styles varied significantly but all seemed to put thought and care into their dress. The americans less so. Enough...
It depends.... Having armies of women for conquest and men for bloodsport is nice... But a person today has comforts a Renaissance duke could only dream of. Ice water (during the summer) was an unheard of luxury back in the day, for example. King though...my my my my my
Interesting observation: If I go to buy trousers (jeans, khakis, suit separates), "classic fit" is usually parlance for "baggy made for thunder-thighs." If anything, classic American seems to be what we would call a "tailored" fit. (Not slim, not straight). Then again, most of them are slender to normal. I think the loosest pair of pants in this thread is JFK Jr's jeans.
Looking at international political history (in my case through international relations), one finds the paths of nations and empires littered with conspiracy and collusion. Spokesmen like to dismiss clandestine, "immoral", and other unsavoury acts as conspiracy theories. After all, who in 1939 America would believe that British agents had been working clandestinely to villify Nazi Germany? Or better yet that governments around the world often use similar psychological...
OTR, Brooksease is a huge step down from Paul Stuart. If I were you...well...I'm rising senior in college, so we do have similar suiting needs. So here's what I would (will?) do. At the moment (accounting for summer clearance) Brooksease and Jos Bank suits sit at similar price points. They're inexpensive and thicker wool. The Brooksease suits, to their credit, are American-made. When I was in-store, the fabric and jacket felt of being notably inferior quality to the...
I just got back from my local Nordstrom (Roosevelt Field, NY). WHAT A DISASTER! The suiting section was dead. The men's casual selection looked more like a Nordie's Rack than a full line store. There were a few racks with regularly priced Hugo Boss, Burberry, Canali etc. HOWEVER, most o the store was circular racks filled with lower end Boss, Faconnable, Sartorial something or other (shield logo), Vineyard vines etc etc. In other words, the same shit I'll see at the...
If you want to wear leather shoes with jeans, go for captoe oxfords or minimal brogue'ing. I have no use for florsheim shoes except for scrap leather. (And that includes the by DB line)
Quote: Originally Posted by Opermann As an opera singer, I can tell you all that less and less people dress up for the opera. It's becoming much less formal and a 20-something may even seem out of place in a tuxedo at opening night. This is especially true at regional companies where no one dresses formally. Nowadays you see more young and middle-aged people in dark jeans and a blazer. The ability to dress up casual clothing for special occasions (yes,...