or Connect

Posts by General Koskov

When being interviewed for the Canadian Forces, I wore some grey-brown nasty polyester/rayon shirt with a black suit & tie. All from Jack Fraiser, all ill-fitting (in both size and colour). I didn't get the career. Next year I applied again, I wore a light blue New&Lingwood shirt with a black tie and my father's old navy blue pinstripe suit. I got the career (though my forum name belies my actual rank--or name, for that matter). But the interesting thing about CF...
To avoid making the pockets useless by sewing them up (they are very useful for tickets and thin papers which will probably not distort your line) you could have a inside button like some inner breast pockets do.
I use what Ian's Shoelace Site calls 'Straight (Fashion) Lacing.'  I can't figure out what exactly makes it 'fashion;' that lacing is used by the Canadian Armed Forces (which tends towards unfashionability in their dress uniforms).  The idea of having only one lace crossing between each set of eyelets is so a steel-toed boot can be quickly cut off the foot if someone falls overboard from a ship. Contrary to what that site says, an odd number of eyelet pairs can use this...
I also cite aesthetics as my reason for being interested in clothes. I want to be aesthetically pleasing in clothes, I want others' clothes to aesthetically please me.... Knowing so much about clothes makes one tend towards picayunity but when there is nothing to pick out in a ensemble of clothing it makes the aesthetic experience more rewarding, I think. Or, perhaps, our fashion interest lies in sex and aggression.
I straight-lace so that there are only horizontal strands of lace going on top of the eyelets. However, this only works with six pairs of eyelets (and multiples of six, I suppose), so if I have five pairs I just cross one lace underneath diagonally. I suppose the predominance of five-pair-eyelet shoes is another reason to bespeak shoes.
If by 'navy suit' you actually mean what the navy wears as a suit (i.e. a reefer jacket and matching trousers), I--and everyone else in any worthwhile navy--wears black shoes with this. It is said that black leather gives a sense of power and violence. Good things for a navy to have. As for my civvies, I prefer any shade of brown leather merely because, in my style-deprived city, this combination is an easy way to show one has style.
After bashing my right toe into a kerb the other day, I noticed that the Goodyear-welted sole on my father's old shoe (which I now wear, how very preppy of me! started to split apart, top from bottom. My theory is that the stitching wore away long ago, leaving only the glue to hold the sole layers together. Then, the shock of the bashing of the toe broke the sole layers apart. Consequently, I have decided to bespeak some shoes with toe taps (and perhaps heel plates,...
The Canadian Forces makes you blacken the soles of your boots with polish. But seeing as these are Vibram soles, I suspect it has little to do with practical care of shoes. I like to occasionally use saddle soap on my leather soles.
Oh, I see. That's rather strange. I suppose most Savile row establishments realise that men usually only want the working buttons for the sole purpose of unbuttoning the bottom one.
Quote: chillipadi, the sleeve buttons don't serve any functional purpose anymore. it's no longer taboo for a gentleman to take off his jacket in public. so the question is, why have sleeve buttons at all? for looks? for tradition? i would say have the suit made without sleeve buttons if form follows function in your book. if not, you may as well have all four buttons functioning. it's better to have the real thing than to have something that looks like the real...