or Connect

Posts by GatorStyle

If you live near outlet shopping (and if you're not sure, post something here asking Steve B), absolutely check it out.  If you're willing to put in the legwork and spend some time, you can get a very nice suit for what you're looking to spend.  For your first, I'd absolutely go with a solid charcoal gray or dark navy and, like LA Guy, I'd lean toward the charcoal. From personal experience, I can tell you that Brooks Brothers (especially the outlets) carries nice...
If you're going to go the sneaker/trainer route, I'd suggest something slightly less conventional than what you might typically wear to the gym, or jogging.  I just picked up a pair of Diesel sneakers,and I love them.  Mine are in white, but you can get them in various colors.  They're just a little bit funkier than the usual, but basic and cool enough to wear in most situations that call for sneakers.  They're pretty cheap ($70-$80 or so), very comfortable, and pair...
LA Guy: Your point is well-taken and, as with all of your posts, intelligently articulated.  But:  Though I've never made a Patrick Bateman-related post, I suspect you may underestimate those in this forum who have.  I can't speak for any of those posters, but I think they know that Bateman is a kind of satire (a funny indictment of a person, an era, a mindset), a cartoon or a caricature of sorts, and not to be taken all that seriously.  I suspect they know that...
J: I'm a trial lawyer.  Because I'm still only in my 20's, I've been in front of relatively few juries (I've had many more non-jury trials).  I've selected, however, a number of juries for trials in which I wasn't the primary litigator, and so I'm reasonably familiar with the nuances and subtleties of juries.  Also, I'm primarily a commercial litigator, and I work only in the civil (not criminal) context.  Nevertheless, the same rules typically apply with regard to...
Interloper:  With respect to your khaki question- and many Americans' obsession with it- allow me to answer on behalf of all of my countrymen.  The concept of khakis actually originated, as I understand it, with British military officers in India and other such locales.  Their trousers were "stained" a sort of tan color by windswept sand and the like, and the word "khaki" is derived from an Indian word reflecting that.  Nevertheless, you're absolutely right- khakis,...
LA Guy- I've heard great things about James Perse from friends out on the Left Coast, and I recall reading a piece on him in GQ a year or so ago. I'm out in Cali 5-6 times a year for both work and pleasure, but I live on the east coast. In case I don't have time to hunt him down on my next trip, do you (or does anyone) know where (or if) I can find his stuff on the east coast? Thanx.
I'm pretty particular when I get my pant lengths done because I hate it if they're even a little too short.  My only hard and fast rule is that the back/bottom of the pant leg should sit atop the top of the heel on the back of the shoe.  They should also "break" nicely in front, and the front of the pant leg generally (though not always) should cover the laces of your shoe to some extent, depending upon the cut of the pants and your individual preference.  I also prefer...
Great follow-up on my 5 designer question, LA Guy.  And more likely to actually happen in the real world, too, as all of us have been in some variation of the situation you describe (whereas I've yet to be offered unlimited, price-is-no-object access to 5 of the world's best designers, though I haven't given up hope yet). Also, your answers are very similar to what mine would be.  In fact, I had a rough answer in my head as I scrolled down to find yours were right on...
I think that shirt gives you lots of options with tie and jacket, depending upon how dark its shade is.  I have a Joseph Abboud shirt like that, and I find it to be really versatile.  For example, a diagonally striped tie with a beige/tan/khaki-like color as one of the stripes would work.  A solid, silk black tie would work fine, in a military-style kind of way.  Ties with various earth-toned colors/patterns/stripes could work, depending upon shades.  If the shirt is...
A Windsor shouldn't mess up a well-made tie, as long as you're reasonably careful when tying the knot.  But it does introduce other problems.  You'll need a longer tie than most, simply because you need more material to fill out the fat knot of a Windsor.  And because of its nature, it won't necessarily pair well with certain, less formal looks (i.e. it looks a whole lot better with a spread collar than with a button down collar).  I think Windsors can look great, but...