or Connect

Posts by GatorStyle

Ambulance:  I also see those Jiwani inserts in various legal publications, and know a few lawyers who've purchased custom made suits and accessories from them.   I'm personally not a big fan (at least from what I've seen).  And although their prices are reasonable for a custom-made suit, they're not cheap either.  I think it may be worth a first foray into the world of custom-made clothing, but not much more than that.  In other words, if you're real anxious to try a...
As to the watch/shirt cuff question:  yes, your watch should be covered by the cuff of your shirt.  Since the bottom of the cuff should come within a hair or so of the base of your thumb, there simply should be no room for a watch to be visible.  Be sure the cuff isn't so snug around your wrist that a big impression of your watch is visible like a relief map poking through the shirt.   There are, as I understand it, some shipping tycoons or captains of industry that-...
Cuffs add weight and heft to the bottom of your pants and, in the right situation, look more professional and "grown-up."  In the wrong situation, they're unnecessary and just plain bad. My thoughts on when cuffs are most appropriate with: Jeans- Never Khakis (casual)- Never Wool/cotton trousers (not part of suit)- Sometimes, determined on a case by case basis.  If the pant design is somewhat funkier, and meant to be worn in situations other than professional ones,...
At that price point (less than $250 in most instances that I've seen), Emporio Armani watches are perfectly stylish and functional.  To the extent that it's important to you, the name arguably offers a bit more cache than, say, Fossil. As to the leather band, go for it.  It's a bit less "rugged" than most stainless steel bands, but more elegant.  If you prefer brown, that works, too.  My preference in leather bands is black, as I think it's more versatile, but...
If you don't already do so, have your dress shirts (or at least those you'll be bringing) professionally laundered prior to your next trip.  Rather than return them on hangers (as everybody does), ask that they return them boxed, an option that most dry cleaners offer for a nominally higher price.  You can then easily stash the thin box in your luggage.  When you arrive, you'll still have folding creases to deal with, but those are far less onerous than the...
I shave with a blade about 40% of the time, and the rest with an electric razor (Remington TCT).  When I use the electric, I use no pre-shave oil, lotion or any other goo; I use it by itself.   Does anyone here use a pre-electric shave oil before they use an electric razor?  I looked at a few by Anthony for Men, Lab Series and others this weekend but couldn't decide if it was worth it.  The shave I get without anything is reasonably close and not terribly irritating...
Every 2-3 weeks.  My hair is shorter on the sides/back but longer on top/front.  So I get the sides and back done each visit, but I usually alternate as to the rest of it (i.e. every other time I leave the front and top untouched, with trims on those areas on alternating visits).
I disagree.  I think pocket squares can be a great accessory, and need not be restricted to formal situations.  I often wear them to the office (2-3 times per week) even when nothing important is going on, and frequently to more important engagements (big meetings, courtroom appearances).  They look great to complement outfits that are somewhat dressier (i.e. spread collar, pinstripes), yet not truly formal.   But I also wear them on less serious occasions, too-  a...
That's happened to me, too- one or more creases in cotton pants that just won't go away. When my frustration at unsuccessfully washing/scrubbing/ironing them finally boils over, I just break down and get 'em dry cleaned. That's worked every time so far.
Scuff 'em up a bit (the soles, that is).  There was a post on this in the forum some time ago (maybe a month or so), addressing the slip-and-slide, ice skating effect associated with new, leather-soled shoes.  You should probably check that out, because the concept is identical. The upshot is this:  walking on them on an abrasive surface - asphalt sidewalks, etc.- will soon scuff up the soles.  Once they get that way- it shouldn't take long- you'll be slip-proof.  To...