or Connect

Posts by Film Noir Buff

You guys should read this thread. http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=778 The Duke of Windsor probably had Scholte invent this silhouette to be unique, very much the way the English like to have a shirt pattern no one else has. The English thought it was a quirky, vulgar style. Because the Americans liked his (Edward VIII's) style it became popular enough to open Anderson and Sheppard. It never caught on in the UK because the English cannot stand the...
Quote: Originally Posted by bengal-stripe Nice fit (for a sausage skin)! But this is a personal attack by you on the individual and not about the quality,fit or construction of the suit. A tailor can only make the best suit he can, he cannot account for the whopping immaturity of geeks on a message board
Quote: Originally Posted by literasyme Anyone know who makes them? They're Italian, proudly announce their "Hand Made" status, and tie a really nice know. Wish I had more. Altea? (My N&L feel more substantial than my Alteas...) They are very substantial and make a good, rich knot. I dont know that a dimple with be simple to achieve.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt The right shoulder is wavy enough that I could surf home on it. I see what you mean. Nino's clothing is fitted and also tightly constructed. That means it has to be word for a while to see releases in the chest and shoulder area. It really is only after years of wearing that the you notice the garment gets better. Of course one's weight and shape may have shifted. The jacket, being fitted, may not be...
Quote: Originally Posted by Doxe Look at how the fabric bellows out from the middle button. If that's not a "fit" problem then it's a "fat" problem. Pick your poison. Judging from the double chin I would say the fault lies more with the wearer and not the tailor. But again, what makes you think the wearer wouldn't look much worse in another suit? Imagine him in an A&S suit with all it's negligently draping folds? I think also that because...
Quote: Originally Posted by tailorgod Nothing, in a technical sense. It's just that the pinstripes run towards the neck, which creates the unnecessary illusion of being barrel shaped. But that is just a matter of preference as well, I guess. I personally don't find it very flattering. Well, wait a second, perhaps it would be more instructive to see this suit alongside the same wearer in another maker's suit or tshirt and jeans to see if the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Montrachet Here's a monarchist argument on tie knots: The Windsor knot belongs to the House of Windsor and is therefore royal, reigning over all other knots by divine right. Sure, we all prefer the four-in-hand, but that's because it's our place to do so. I like the four in hand because it is simple. I have seen some small men need to use a windsor know to account fro the extra fabric length in their ties.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum I have no idea what you're on about. Obviously there is a line between style and fashion, where fashion comes and goes but something that is stylish is always stylish. The very mention of the word 'dated' implied we are talking about fashion though, since something that is timelessly stylish will never be 'dated', and the simple fact is that double-breasted suits and jackets are very much having a resurgence at...
Quote: Originally Posted by hws Film Noir BÅ“uf!
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I am getting the feeling more and more that my approach to men differs from many here, now homoerotic fantasies aside, what's actually wrong with the suit?